PDA

View Full Version : Bodywork-Repaint-Orange Peel

imported_BadSL65AMG
02-14-2006, 04:29 PM
As some of you know I recently had some bodywork done on my daily driver. Since today was fairly warm, I made it a point to leave work early, planning on buffing it with some IP to remove the coarse swirls. After wiping the surface with QD and a microfiber I looked the surface over thouroughly. The hood and front bumper looked fine, I didn`t notice any orange peel, the front fenders looked fine as well. Then I made my way back to the doors, one word, OUCH! First the clear on both doors looks wavy (uneven wave like effect), and second, both doors are covered in orange peel, I can hardly see a reflection!! :help: It makes me sick to even think about it, since the whole car looked like glass before the accident. :bawling: My question is, what grit paper would everyone recommend to be used for wet sanding, I`m not sure how thick the clear is after the repaint. I`m about to do a search on wet sanding since I`ve never ventured in that neck of the woods. Also, will I need a rotary to remove the haze from sanding, or will my D.A. polisher do the trick? :help: :help: :help:

imported_BadSL65AMG
02-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I thought it might also be important to add.. the orange peel is only on the doors, most likely because this is where the newly painted area (hood, bumper, front fenders) was blended into the old paint (doors).. I`m pretty sure I can get away with sanding a little more off the doors being that there was still a layer of clear (left from the old paint that they blended over).

Scottwax
02-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Meguiars has a downloadable wetsanding video on their website at www.meguiars.com

imported_BadSL65AMG
02-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Meguiars has a downloadable wetsanding video on their website at www.meguiars.com

Thank you Sir. :woot2: