PDA

View Full Version : Post Wash Dirt Spots after using Foam Gun

chml17l
02-14-2006, 04:13 PM
I`ve tried the foam gun technique of washing a panel with a constant stream of soap solution using a sheepskin mitt several different times. After I thought I had finally adjusted my wash technique sufficiently to help reduce marring, I have noticed several times post wash when I have missed spots on the paint that I was sure that I had covered. The car wasn`t overly dirty whenever these post wash dirt spots occurred as the dirty patches easily cleaned up with a qd after the wash.

Has this ever happened to any of you foam gun users? Maybe, I am trying too much to minimize the mitt/paint contact pressure. Or, could it be that the constant soap stream was not allowing the mitt to have enough friction to actually grab and encapsulate the dirt (i.e., the soap/water stream buffered the mitt/dirt contact too much)? :nixweiss

Accumulator
02-14-2006, 05:03 PM
chml17l- Yeah, that can happen. What I end up doing is washing the panels more than once. The first pass or two, done *very* carefully, is to get the potentially abrasive dirt off without marring. Then I`ll rewash with a bit more contact/pressure to get off any residual dirt. I sometimes do the second wash with a MF mitt, but you gotta be careful that it doesn`t grab, and hold on to, something abrasive.

I`d also recommend keeping a healthy (i.e., fresh) coat of a very slick LSP on the vehicle and washing before the contamination gets too firmly adhered. When the vehicle is really dirty, I use the foamgun with a BHB for the intitial passes.

Any dirt that just doesn`t want to come off, I remove with clay. I`ve very careful when I do this, often inspecting/kneading the clay after every contact with the panel. I inspect for this residual dirt after washing and rinsing the panel, before moving on to the next one. That way I won`t have any surprises when I`m drying (when the dirt could get ground in, causing marring after all).