PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to buff after every application?

jasil
02-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Got my whole package in today:

SSR 1, 2, 2.5

RMG

Natty`s blue

This is what I did.

Washed

Clayed

SSR2

SMG

Natty`s Blue

Was I supposed to wipe off/buff each panel after each application? I didn`t it came out better than ever, but still a few small scratches in direct sunlight. The whole reason I ask is because the above took me 2.5hrs and if this is what it takes every time without wiping down maybe this is just too much work for me. It would have taken me twice as long.

BobD
02-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I would of for sure wiped off the car after using each step, starting with SSR2.

jasil
02-14-2006, 02:21 PM
I would of for sure wiped off the car after using each step, starting with SSR2.

Forget that it`s looks good, but not that good considering I spent $300 worth of stuff to look only marginally better than my previous:

3M scratch remover

Meguiars #7 glaze

Meguiars Gold

That I used previously and it only cost $25 bucks!! It used to take me 1hr max by hand whoever said a PC is quicker is on crack. Doing each body panel using the the side, up, angle, anle method takes much longer than doing the whole car by hand.

BobD
02-14-2006, 02:29 PM
But there is no way you get the "bite" of the PC while doing it by hand. Once you learn the PC it will be MUCH faster and better than doing it by hand. In my opinion anyway.

Sarcazmo
02-14-2006, 03:51 PM
I`m a newb and polishing goes much faster with the PC, in fact, so does everything. I used to apply wax by hand and it took forever. Now I load up a finishing pad and it`s soooo much easier/faster it isn`t even funny.

cwcad
02-14-2006, 04:02 PM
I think the PC is faster than working any product by hand. Yet, if you find that working the products you mentioned by hand produced the same results with less work and 25 dollars more power to you.

I think that you will find that that is not the norm, when it comes to using a PC, if you were to ask most members of this forum.

jasil
02-14-2006, 04:10 PM
In the last hour I have done a complete turn around in my though process. The sun has been hit or miss all day and after the Natty`s Blue the car did you look good when the sun decided to shine, but not OMG this is som much better than before good.

Well, now the sun is out 100% and it is very close to a OMG difference the black almost looks like a mirror it`s so deep and reflects so well.

In direct 100% sun there are a few scratches/swirls, but a 90% improvement and if the car stayed just like this I wouldn`t be bothered at all.

Consider me sworn in the difference is huge now that I can see the paint in direct sunlight. Great job Autopia.org and thanks Klearkote, Poorboys, and Mothers!!

I post picutures tom. before and after.

blkyukon
02-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Was I supposed to wipe off/buff each panel after each application?

How long are you working the polish in for....Are you working the polish until it breaks down properly?

.....It used to take me 1hr max by hand whoever said a PC is quicker is on crack.

I wouldn`t say faster....easier and more effective, yes.

It will take ALOT more work and time (by hand) to get the same results that you can get with a PC.

imported_Denzil
02-14-2006, 06:04 PM
It`s all in the prep.

My 2 hours on my PC will always be better than your 1 hour by hand. I guarantee it.

Skotter
02-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Erm.... you mean you just put one product on after the other without even removing the first?

jasil
02-15-2006, 07:47 AM
As far as working the polish that`s what takes so long the total exterior detail took 3.5 hours not counting the interior which I haven`t touched. Hopefully some QD and a wash here or there will keep it looking like it does. We`ll have to see.

Let me reiterate it does look much better than before in direct sunlight!! In the shade the difference is minimal though.