PDA

View Full Version : DAPC for sanding

imported_turbomangt
02-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I wanted to use my DA to sand a wood project, how do you attach round sanding discs to the velcro back plate????? anyone done that ? gary

BobD
02-14-2006, 09:24 AM
I wanted to use my DA to sand a wood project, how do you attach round sanding discs to the velcro back plate????? anyone done that ? gary

It`s easy, you just buy the sand paper disc with the velcro. I used mine for sanding plenty of times...it is what it was designed for. ;)

imported_turbomangt
02-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Thats weird, I never saw the disc with velcro on the back, what store do you suggest? my local hardware store doesn`t have them.......gk

BobD
02-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Thats weird, I never saw the disc with velcro on the back, what store do you suggest? my local hardware store doesn`t have them.......gk

That`s weird they don`t have them. I get mine from places like Lowes, Home Depot, and my small local hardware. You should not have any problems finding them.

velobard
02-14-2006, 10:01 AM
I plan on buying the 7336 instead of the 7424 since it`s really the same machine, but the 7336 comes with a sanding backplate while the 7424 comes with an essentially useless foam pad. It`s been awhile since I dove into a woodworking project , but I do plan on using my PC for that too. Plus makes it easier to help justify $$$ to the wife, lol.

mdsmithers
02-14-2006, 10:12 AM
velobrad, you`ll be happy to know that most of the 7336`s come with the same essentially useless foam pad as well (mine did). Look for a package that says bonus useless polishing foam pad included. ;)

Setec Astronomy
02-14-2006, 10:17 AM
There is a sanding backing plate that comes with the PC that is smooth and is used with self-adhesive sanding discs.

the other pc
02-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Hardware stores and home centers around here have hook&loop sanding disks but selection of sizes, grits and dust collection hole patterns is usually limited. (Also, the quality and performance of "tool company" branded abrasives can be pretty mediocre.)

I like to use Klingspor (http://www.klingspor.com/) abrasives for woodworking. In the "wood belt" of the southeast US you can find their products off the self but I order them through their catalog and online subsidiary (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/).

Definitely get a copy of their print catalog. It`s awesome. (The online catalog is kind of difficult to navigate and not as informative.)

If you don`t want to deal with ordering I`m sure you can find a distributor for Mirka, Norton or 3M disks in your area. (But I`d highly recommend Klingspor.)

PC.