PDA

View Full Version : Scratches in black plastic mirrors??

Kool_ZX3
02-13-2006, 07:19 PM
A buddy of mine`s 05 focus backed into a cement pillar and it left a scuff mark on the mirror and a black mark on the pillar. He wants to know if there is anything he can do to get the scuff mark off the mirror.....

So any ideas on what to use to get it off and make it black again?

RAG
02-13-2006, 09:02 PM
A picture would help us help you, but I`m guessing the damage is a combination of traded paint and actual scuffing. I assume you mean painted part of the mirror. First, get the paint from the pillar off by using a solvent, for readily available OTC, Goof Off will do the job. Then you`ll probably want to buff the area with a compound. Otherwise, his next best option is to have the entire mirror repainted.

SVR
02-14-2006, 04:19 AM
If it`s the painted part, sonus sfx or PB ssr`s by machine or hand will do the trick

I use them all the time on cars side mirror backings

Kool_ZX3
02-14-2006, 11:07 AM
The mirror isn`t painted, it`s just all black plastic like on the new mustang.

Hey, Moe!
02-14-2006, 11:17 AM
The mirror has a little "texture," doesn`t it? In other words, you have a noticeable scuff of the textured finish. My `05 Focus has painted mirrors, but it`s an ST model. My `02 had the black plastic mirrors, and I scuffed one of those. I had to live with it.

Kool_ZX3
02-14-2006, 11:24 AM
His is just a SES model sedan, no piant just textured plastic mirrors.

So it does`t come out?

RAG
02-14-2006, 11:47 AM
You won`t get the scuffing out, but a little solvent might get the paint (if any) off the plastic.

Hey, Moe!
02-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I think the most you could hope for would be to get any paint off--if all you have is some scuff, one would have to look hard to see it. That`s why they`re textured in the first place. Even in normal driving, they`re going to take some hits from various sources. I like my painted mirrors, but I live in fear of scratching or otherwise marring them.

SVR
02-15-2006, 01:23 AM
A few coats of sealant then before doing a road trip (not same city driving) wrap them with cling wrap a couple times

No more problems with bugs, hits, scratches etc

Louie
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
A long time ago I bought some Turtle Wax black colored wax (they make it in several colors) for use on an older car to help hide swirls (very pre-Autopian). I know better and don`t use this stuff any more - until recently when I was trading in my wife`s Windstar and the black side mirrors were the only items that I could not get looking new - bug pitting, scratches, etc. I applied a couple layers of this stuff and it did an incredible job of making them less noticeable. Not a long term fix, but should hold up for a once a month touch up.