PDA

View Full Version : Does a touchless carwash take of the wax?

imported_swooopeno
02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I just completed a full ext. detail on a black 4runner. It looks amazing. I don`t have a lot of time to take care of it, but a day worth of detailing every 6 months does the trick. In between waxes, I like to take it to the automatic touchless car wash. Here is what happens:

1. light dusting of water/soap (not sure what kind of soap).

2. Power wash all panels.

3. light dusting of spot free rinse

4. power dry

Now that I am starting to do the detail, I don`t want my hard work to go to waste.

1. Does power washing with only water take of the wax?

2. What about the soap they use? Is there a good chance it is similar to dawn and it removes the wax everytime I go there?

I know it would be better for me to wash it at home.. but I just don`t have the time.

Consider that I used to go to a regular non-touchless car wash where I had 5 guys drying the car with 35 yr old dirty rags. I know I`m at least improving a little...

White95Max
02-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes it`s an improvement over those awful brush washes, and being dried with nasty towels only makes it worse.

The touchless washes use a strong soap in order to clean dirt and salt off without any brushes/scrubbing. They will likely reduce or remove your wax/sealant, depending on how detergent-resistant the product in question is. Waxes like Meg`s #16 or Collinite 476s/845 will be better suited to resist the detergent than other, less-durable products.

racepenut
02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
If you dont have time to do a proper wash/dry, find the booths where you can spray your car yourself. I can buy myself a little time by using the power wash and then spraying down with the spotfree rinse. I go down the freeway immediatly to get the water off. If you use collinite or 16 etc, this will buy you atleast a week extra. Not the best, but its all I can do when im really busy.

John U
02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I`m lucky to have a slightly heated do-it-yourself wash near by.

I only use the softened rinse water.

- Bring a bucket with your favorite suds already mixed & sponge.

- Dishwashing gloves in XL and your drying towels.

- I use a Blade to get the standing water off fast.

- I have a dedicated glove to wear to apply tire gloss with an application sponge I keep in - a small bucket.

It`s the only exersize I get in the winter! I can leave the house and be back in 45 minutes with a fully cleaned vehicle.

Much longer life out of the sealants I use.

Later,

JU

Accumulator
02-09-2006, 05:33 PM
You won`t know if it`ll strip it until you go through and find out. Even a normally OK place might have the chemicals mixed up a bit too strong one day and cause trouble. But my wife takes her A8 through a touchless in TN when she travels down there and it`s never caused any problems (yet). Sometimes it really is better than nothing and at least there shouldn`t be any marring from it.

imported_Neothin
02-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Using a touchless probably isnt going to strip everything the first time or two you go to it, but I wouldn`t recommend doing it all that often. The strong cleaners can`t be good for durability. If your planning on using them extensively, I`d go for a more durable combo rather than one comprised of beauty products. a couple of layers of sealant topped with a coat or two of a durable wax should last you a while even with touchless washes being used.

jasonmac
02-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I actually take my cars to a touchless before a complete detail to help strip some of the old stuff off. I usually do a thorough job on the undercarriage during the winter, but the spray in the touchless booth I go to might get something I`ve missed. At least that makes me feel better ;)

jfelbab
02-10-2006, 02:40 PM
I actually take my cars to a touchless before a complete detail to help strip some of the old stuff off. I usually do a thorough job on the undercarriage during the winter, but the spray in the touchless booth I go to might get something I`ve missed. At least that makes me feel better ;)

During the winter months I frequently use a touchless wash. I normally follow up with a coat of NXT Booster Spray Wax to insure the LSP is slippery and in force. Takes me a mere 20 minutes. The fresh coat of NXT keeps the car from holding onto the dirt and salt.

Neo62381
02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
The only time I go through a touchless car wash is in the winter, when it`s below freezing, just to get the road salt off the car. IMO a touchless car wash, or DIY wash bay, will NEVER be able to get a car as clean as the good ole 2 bucket method.

I`ve found myself getting quicker and quicker at it, and if you keep the buckets, mitts, solution, and a couple brushes close by, it doesn`t take nowhere near as long as you would think.

tweeker43
02-11-2006, 11:28 AM
i`ve always used a diy booth in the winter, then taken the car back to my heated garage to finish. the #26 & the mother`s fx synwax have both held up fairly well, but i also use waud or some other spray wax every week as well.

generally i will still wax the car at least once during the winter though. salt sucks.