PDA

View Full Version : Took home 2 Merit Awards the other night...

JaCkaL829
02-09-2006, 11:46 AM
I`m pretty stoked, ended up receiving two merit awards for two of my pictures that I entered in the pictorial competition at my photo club. I was initally worried based on some of the scores of the previous pictures, lots of good stuff and not getting the best scores. Then my first picture(truck fire) comes up and the judge really liked it. I think the women`s facial expression in the window sealed it and she said 9(highest score). I couldn`t believe it. :eek: The one picture I though was going to do well, didn`t do so good, but not bad. My last picture(train) I was again super surprise when she gave this a 9 too. I was going to re-take the picture another night with a tripod to shot at a slower speed for more light, but my friend`s father told me to enter it anyway. Once she did the final round of judging she gave my two shots merit awards.

No top awards, but I was really happy with my two merit awards considering the competition, and my limited experience.

Here are the two merits:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/JaCkaL829/1-27-07046cropMedium.jpg

Remains of Car Fire

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/JaCkaL829/DSCF1546cropMedium.jpg

Night Stop

btw both shot with my Fuji FinePix S5100

Joshua312
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Congratulations! Pictures look awesome :2thumbs:

Lowejackson
02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Congratulations, nice photos :2thumbs:

stilez
02-09-2006, 12:58 PM
I think they both look very good.

Congrats.

SilverLexus
02-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Quality photography. Congrats!

Smoked Tails
02-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Nice pics. Congrats on the awards.

Arved
02-09-2006, 04:37 PM
The car that burned - look at the tires! WWW "Gangsta" tire up front, RWL in back, on an SUV? Thanks, whoever you are, for torching that motha` and putting us out of our missery.

Train photo - Very nice. I can understand wanting to brighten it up a bit. Lots of shadow detail gone to black. However, it`s the dark that sets the mood. Matter of fact, you might want to try converting it to B&W so the little color that is there, isn`t as distracting. I love trains, and I love night photography. I need to be doing more of both. Thanks for the inspiration!

Pats300zx
02-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Awesome..great photos... :2thumbs:

Accumulator
02-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah, great work. You really have an eye for this stuff. Glad to hear you got some recognition.

Yeah, the woman in the background is great. Couldn`t ask for better!

That Night Stop pic has really tricky lighting. I don`t know what kind of latitude digital gives you, but with slide film you`d have probably blown out the highlights too much if you gave it more exposure. IMO you did it just right :xyxthumbs The only thing a tripod would`ve given you is a little sharper image.

Pretty soon you`ll be carrying a tripod with you everywhere ;) Or at least a monopod.

Bet you`re glad you got into the photography group, huh?

Scottwax
02-09-2006, 06:26 PM
You have some real picture taking skills. The burning car is great but the train shot is poster worthy!

WSUcommuter
02-09-2006, 06:39 PM
The car that burned - look at the tires! WWW "Gangsta" tire up front, RWL in back, on an SUV? Thanks, whoever you are, for torching that motha` and putting us out of our missery.

The tires matched. When you melt the outer ply wall off a tire like that, you reveal the white inner band that is behind all RWL and OWL tires.

Arved
02-10-2006, 08:10 AM
The tires matched. When you melt the outer ply wall off a tire like that, you reveal the white inner band that is behind all RWL and OWL tires.

Really!?! Wow. Learn something new every day. Thanks!