PDA

View Full Version : Lot`s of small chips... need to touch it up.

NPfrigidchevy
02-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Hello all. So here`s the deal: I`m living in Alaska where the norm is to lay down gravel instead of salt for the icy conditions. I decided to purchase a new truck, Silverado 1500 crew, but I was a bit slow getting mudflaps. I got the mudflaps put on last night... :2thumbs:

I have a bunch of small chips, some on the plastic fender flares and some on the body. I really want to take care of this truck. My question is this: Since the damage is not very noticeable all I want to do is fill in the small chips. How would I clean and prep the surface? Do I get a small paint applicator from an autoshop? Do I need to put some kind of clearcoat over the finished product? I want to keep this simple, but I don`t want to regret doing something halfa$$ later down the road. These are small chips, maybe 1/16 of an inch.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance. One more thing, I never knew there was so much info on detailing... this site is awesome. :usa

imported_Neothin
02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
rock chips are a royal PITA. you have to have good touchup paint (read: properly thinned, not the syrup paint you get at the dealership), a very fine brush (00 or finer), wetsanding supplies, and polishing supplies.

here is a good link i found in a search i did earlier today. I have a chip on my hood that I would like to touchup so i`m in the same boat basically.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62352&page=1&highlight=rock+chip+touch

NPfrigidchevy
02-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the advice.... looks like I`ll need a little time. Sorry about the hood.