PDA

View Full Version : why is a 5 inch backing plate...

wannafbody
02-08-2006, 03:14 PM
less aggressive than a 6 inch backing plate? if you were to use the same size 61/2 inch pad why would backing plate size make a difference?

aaron33
02-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Because with the 6 inch plate, you can apply more force to the outer edge of the pad. If you used a 5" plate with the 6 1/2" pad, then the last 1 inch or so will receive less force on it when you press down (or use the weight of the DA)

a.k.a. Patrick
02-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Much better torque and control on the outter edges with a 6" BP. I like 6" BP`s for 6.5 and 7" pads....This also equeates to less stress on the pad....

Scottwax
02-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Much better torque and control on the outter edges with a 7" BP. I like 6" BP`s for 6.5 and 7" pads....This also equeates to less stress on the pad....

Agreed. I noticed a slight improvement in results going from a 5" to a 6" backing plate.

RAG
02-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Yes, if there is too much overhang, the outer edge of the pad actually lifts off the paint if any pressure is applied. Ideally they backing plate would be the same size as the pad, but there is a safety issue with that prospect.

White95Max
02-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Yes, if there is too much overhang, the outer edge of the pad actually lifts off the paint if any pressure is applied.

That happens with most pads. It didn`t happen with my green Propel2 pad, when using a 5" backing plate. I believe that`s what they`re designed to do (or rather, not to do).

RAG
02-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Really. Hmm. Though I have never used the 5" backing plate, I find that with both the original Propel and the new ones the edge of the pad lifts up very slightly with my 6" backing plate (when I apply pressure), so I would have thought they would for sure lift up with the 5". The only pads I have found that don`t lift on the edges are the VC Lake Country pads, but the trade off is that they aren`t near as flexible or maneuverable as the American Buffing white, blue and green pads.

White95Max
02-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I don`t recall the pad lifting up at all, but I`ve only used them once. Since I don`t live in California, Texas, or Florida, we actually have a winter here. I haven`t gotten many opportunities to do any detailing.

imported_Neothin
02-11-2006, 10:14 PM
don`t give us floridians any crap maxy... mid 30`s come tommorow and monday night! oh wait... your in the teens now... or is it lower than that? :chuckle:

but to stay on topic a little bit here... Seeing as I just got a hitachi rotary earlier this week, and I don`t know how to use it effectively... would it be better for me to start out on a 5"or a 6" backing plate? Ill be using original propel pads.

White95Max
02-11-2006, 10:25 PM
30s overnight? Oh no...poor Neo. We`ll be lucky to see any 30s in the next week.

I don`t think it matters what size plate you use, because you don`t need to use much, or any, pressure with a rotary.

RAG
02-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Neothin - go with the 6" backing plate - without a doubt! The Propel pads are the easiest pad to learn on; actually they are the overall best pads made (I use a few other pad designs for certain things, but the Popels are hands-down the best). Hopefully you have the 6.5" original Propels and not the 7" - the 7" versions have a little to much overhand and thus have a tendency to sling product.