PDA

View Full Version : Comments?

3Dog
02-08-2006, 12:16 PM
This is a post from a member of a motorcycle forum. This type of post is common on many cycle forums and people eat it up ( that and recommendations for Dri-Wash and Crystal Glo) Any comments?

"Any decent car wash non spotting formula, leaf blower dry, 3-M Imperial hand Glaze every third or forth wash, and Meguires High Tech Yellow wax. If I happen to lightly scratch the paint anywhere during normal riding I have two products that take care of it. I try the lightest formula first which is SAFECUT which can be purchased through the WAX SHOP on line. If it is a bit more severe, I use a touch of Meguires Scratch X, then safe cut polish. I always lightly spritz the wax or any polish thats left to dry, with Meguires quick detailer, or Pig snot or any quality detail spray, before buffing off the dry wax or polish. It lubricates and polishes up real fine, with no scratching.

The biggest key of all no matter what you use, is always add and remove wax polish etc in a back and forth motion. NEVER EVER in circles, hence swirls. No matter what paint manufacturer you use rubbing paint to add and remove product is going to leave a pattern. Whether it be swirls or fine scratcing etc. Hand glazes fill those temorarily, however by always maintaining a light touch (spritz that wax before wiping), and back and forth wiping and rubbing ,the light will always reflect in a straight line mmaking the pattern in the paint non existant to the eye."

imported_Neothin
02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
eh, lubricating your towel is always a nice thing, but I use circular motion all the time to remove products off the paint and I don`t get any swirling. If one was to get marring from circular motion, I would think that it was caused by lower quality towels, excessive pressure on the paint with the towel, or the towel was dirty.

As for the products, i`ve only heard of #26 and ScratchX so I really can`t say much.

imported_chpsk8
02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
If round and round was wrong, why do they make orbitals and rotary`s?

White95Max
02-08-2006, 02:16 PM
If something is abrasive in even the slightest bit, it`s going to scratch regardless of what motion you move it in. That guy makes it sound like he EXPECTS scratches from his towels/applicators, and uses them in a back and forth motion to make the scratches less apparent.

I think it makes more sense to just get safe towels/applicators instead. He can do what he wants.

imported_Denzil
02-08-2006, 05:42 PM
It doesn`t really matter what motion you induce on your paint. Theoretically, you`re still going to "scratch" it. Swirls are induced by what YOU rub into your paint, for the most part.

imported_Gears
02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
I think in general that would be good advice. We can`t hold everyones advice up to our standards.

There is a place for " Joe six pack " type advice and as such this was not that bad.

I`ve seen lots worse, in fact I just read some on the Castrol Oil site about how to keep that show room shine.

DrSauekraut
02-08-2006, 07:17 PM
A colleague of mine is very similar - nice guy, but s%^& for brains. Despite my mentoring, he insists on using old socks, t-shirts, and dish soap, to detail his bike, car, and truck.

Ironically, he’ll spend big money on all his toys, yet is too cheap to buy a quality wash mitt or MF for $10 :furious:

WSUcommuter
02-08-2006, 07:59 PM
"Wax on" (wipes to the right)

"Wax off" (wipes to the left)

~Mr. Miyagi to Danielson