PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever paint their fender liners?

imported_Guido
02-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I`m talking about the plastic liner that goes above the wheel in the wheel well. They are flat black plastic and mine are filthy. I was thinking of removing them and cleaning them but not sure which product would look good and last the longest. Then after more though I figured it would be a better idea to throw some primer on there and paint them glossy black. I`m just worried about the paint cracking if I have to bend the plastic slightly to fit it back into place.

imported_truzoom
02-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Semigloss would have the most `factory` appearance, as flat black can have a tendency to look `glazed` and gloss just looks too show-car, imo. You could also go with one of those Duplicolor textured paints, or the high-temp stuff that seems pretty durable.

wannafbody
02-07-2006, 05:04 PM
brake caliper paint might work well as it doesn`t seem to chip like traditional paint

Shelbrain
02-21-2006, 06:37 PM
I have seen people clean it real well and then use spray on bedliner material.

Tasty
02-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I have seen people clean it real well and then use spray on bedliner material.

I would use a product like the roll on bedliner stuff or some type of undercoating. That`s usually what`s in there from the factory in many cars. However, my mom`s Mazda 6 has this weird carpet like stuff in the wheel wells in the rear.

Jowlz
02-22-2006, 08:58 AM
The problem with painting plastic no matter where it is on the car is adhesion. Paint it with paint made for painting plastic or use an adhesion promotor when painting.

I also recommend getting a bottle of wax & grease remover from your local body shop. Its just a few bucks for a bottle. Wet the part to be painted with the remover. dont let it dry.Immediately buff with clean paper towels. I recommend this step when painting anything. It will cut down on fisheyes, and other troublesome paint defects. It is especially important when painting something you suspect has had a protectant on it at some point.