PDA

View Full Version : Glaze - Is it a sin?

Pages : [1] 2

Joshua312
02-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Alright, well I have searched high and low for an answer to my question and I dont seem to find the answer I am looking for. In the spring I am going to do a full detail on my car and care for it by glazing until it`s necessary to bust out some abrasive polish again. I want to just stay on the safe side and use the least abrasive combo on my vehicle to keep it looking good. I know the glaze will wash off after a couple washes but I dont mind doing it every week even - if it keeps my car looking good. Currently in my arsenal I have these polishes: Optimum compound, optimum polish, colorX, vanilla moose, red machine glaze....however I am looking for something with good filling abilities to cover those minor swirls when I dont feel like taking an abrasive to the paint every week since I am so picky. Any suggestions for a good glaze that has good filling without abrasives. I hear of so many polishes that have abrasives and then also leave an oil to fill in, however i dont want to remove clear every week just to fill in my swirls. Thanks for the help!

Lowejackson
02-07-2006, 01:27 PM
There is nothing wrong with using a glaze, it is simply a personal preference. My favourite glazes are One Grand - very heavy glaze which will hide everything or VM, a very light but effective glaze.

As for polishing, this can be minimised by concentrating on the washing technique

TGates
02-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Meguiar`s #7 doesn`t have abrasives from what I understand. It`s kind of a pain to work with, though. I have been looking for the same type of product. I just ordered some FK1 FX-100 spray glaze as it has no cleaners in it. I`m hoping it will work over my LSP to hide imperfections.

I`ve asked the same question as you before and was suggested Mother`s Top Coat. I haven`t tried it yet.

topnotchtouch
02-07-2006, 01:32 PM
What`s the old line from that song, "if it`s wrong I don`t wanna be right" :D

2x Meguiars #7 topped with 2x Meguiars #26

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760front726.jpg

2x Meguiars #7 topped with 2x Meguiars #26

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760side726.jpg

Joshua312
02-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Wow thanks for all the quick replies, Im gonna look into all of these and see what I can find...The FK1 spray glaze seems interesting. Anyone have any before and afters of using a glaze. rjstaaf the mustang looks great!

DM101
02-07-2006, 01:53 PM
You don`t have to glaze each time. Just when you do add a LSP on top. RMG with Pin. Souveran or natty`s blue is great. If you want to go to the pure polishes absolutely no abrasives Meg. 3, 5, 7, all fit the bill. I love to put a glaze under my LSP. Underutilized part of detailing IMHO.

Wasatch
02-07-2006, 02:09 PM
I usually use a light polish or a glaze before my LSP 2-3 times a year.

imported_Neothin
02-07-2006, 02:43 PM
You don`t have to glaze each time. Just when you do add a LSP on top. RMG with Pin. Souveran or natty`s blue is great. If you want to go to the pure polishes absolutely no abrasives Meg. 3, 5, 7, all fit the bill. I love to put a glaze under my LSP. Underutilized part of detailing IMHO.

*eyes signature*

I love glazes. It saves clearcoat in the long wrong anyways. Besides, if you cant see any flaws, does it really matter how you got it that way?

chml17l
02-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Joshua, not sure if you`ve already seen this, but this could be a more permanent solution and also offer the time savings of not having to reapply a glaze as often.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66829

Unforntunately, it is not yet available.

klnyc
02-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Shoot, Im still using VM and RMG, I got no problem with that.

Sherman8r44
02-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Joshua, not sure if you`ve already seen this, but this could be a more permanent solution and also offer the time savings of not having to reapply a glaze as often.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66829

Unforntunately, it is not yet available.

A similar looking product is ChemicalGuys EZ~CREME glaze (although it has no abrasives), which also both fills and protects. Plus, like the Swirlbuster polish, it can be topped with a sealant. Most glazes, however, will interfere with the bonding of a polymer sealant.

Joshua312
02-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the advise on sonus swirlbuster...I was thinking the same thing, "yes I cant wait" however when I sent David a pm about it, he said it would not be smart to use as a glaze :( The chemical guys`s product sounds interesting since i dont want any abrasives...I think alot of us are in search of a good glaze without abrasives, but we just arent sure which one really does the job. I have rmg but I dont see much filling capabilities...I use it on a finishing pad around 3-4 on the pc. Hopefully through searching through these products we can find a product that will work for us all

I would not use it as a glaze. That`s why I created the Sonus Acrylic Glanz product.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-250.html

This is a very effective glaze that is super quick and easy to use.

db

When looking at Sonus Acrylic Glanz however I dont see much in terms of filling capabilities, more like something just to make my car shiny :(

TGates
02-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the advise on sonus swirlbuster...I was thinking the same thing, "yes I cant wait" however when I sent David a pm about it, he said it would not be smart to use as a glaze :( The chemical guys`s product sounds interesting since i dont want any abrasives...I think alot of us are in search of a good glaze without abrasives, but we just arent sure which one really does the job. I have rmg but I dont see much filling capabilities...I use it on a finishing pad around 3-4 on the pc. Hopefully through searching through these products we can find a product that will work for us all

I would not use it as a glaze. That`s why I created the Sonus Acrylic Glanz product.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-250.html

This is a very effective glaze that is super quick and easy to use.

db

When looking at Sonus Acrylic Glanz however I dont see much in terms of filling capabilities, more like something just to make my car shiny :(

I will say that Acyrlic Glanz is a great product. It may not fill in hairline scratches 100% but it certainly takes the edge off them (no pun intended). It`s super easy to use and really enhances the finish. It`s what I have been using until I get my FX-100 in the mail.

I also have to agree with Neothin. Some of us just don`t have the time or patience to polish to perfection with a PC and abrasives, so a glaze really is helpful. Some may call it a clutch, but I call it more of a necessary evil. The added bonus of wetness and depth RMG gives under a carnauba is an added bonus. I almost always use a glaze under a carnauba. If you`re going to keep a fresh layer of protection on there anyways, why not? Better this than compromise your clearcoat, IMO.

imported_chpsk8
02-07-2006, 03:09 PM
As I read this I cant` help thinking...

Wouldn`t it be better faster more effective to polish out the swirls now, then change your wash method to minimize the swirling? The way you are going to use the glaze sounds like a band aid for the problem.

I use glazes to fill in what I cant` get, or don`t get. Kind of a CYA process before LSP.

I think you should look at what is causing the problem in the first place. In the long run it will save you time and money.

chml17l
02-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Sorry, I missed the non-abrasive part. Not quite sure why DB is calling the Acrylic Glanz a "glaze" either. I think it is more like an acrylic booster-wax and I doubt it could do much of anything to hide swirls. But, I`ve never used the AG only the AS.