PDA

View Full Version : Need help...

Skotter
02-06-2006, 11:36 PM
It`s nice to be back to autopia, the winter was short and I`m pumped to get going again...

I need some advice, regaurding the process that I use to detail... I`ve been reading and lurking alot the past week or so and everywhere I read people are saying it takes them 4-6 hours to do a complete interior/exterior detail. It takes me a min of 8 hours to do a full detail, usually ending up to be 10ish. So I come to you people....the great autopians...for advice.

My Current Process:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Door Jambs

Megs DACP/Cutting Pad / PC @6

Megs SMR/Polishing Pad / PC @ 5

Megs NXT/Finishing Pad / PC @ 3

Plastic Trim

Windows

Tires Dressed

Chrome Polish

Interior Vaccum

Interior Shampoo (Little Green with Superclean/oxiclean boiled mix)

Seats

Dash/vinyl treated

windows

This doesn`t seem like a whole lot to me but it just is so time consuming no matter how hard i try to speed it up. My base rate used to be 150 but it`s just not worth it if it takes that long. Is there anything I can do to help it go faster, or even a betterprocess icould follow. I`m getting ready to buy some new supplies, and i really like Megs becaue i have a dist reasonably close that will deliver to me.

basically.... :nixweiss

Lowejackson
02-07-2006, 12:51 PM
10 hours does not seem that excessive to me as long as the results are good. I notice you use DACP, would you use this every time you do a full detail

Skotter
02-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I don`t use DACP with every detail, just depends on how bad the paint is...

Perhaps my lack of speed in my eyes would be that I work on s**ty cars most of the time. It doesn`t take nearly as long when i work on the lexus` or bmw`s...

Still looking for ways to improve my process....anyone?

imported_Neothin
02-07-2006, 03:21 PM
learn to use a rotary... your polishing time will be significantly reduced.

instead of washing, drying, and then claying, try to wash, rinse, spray QD, clay, rinse and then dry. It saves a drying step.

maybe try using QEW instead of conventional wash. it`s not called QUICK and easy wash for nothing :D

Accumulator
02-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah, all I can think of is to use a rotary for the worse work. But what do I know, I take forever to do everything...as in, many days for some jobs :o

imported_Denzil
02-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I say go at your own pace. Don`t worry about how much faster everyone else is doing their details. You`ll eventually become faster once you start doing a lot of details.

Skotter
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
That`s a good point. I am quite happy witht the results i get, and the customers are too so I guess I`ll just keep doin` my thing. Getting all new product this year, and a bunch of new equipment so hopefully it`ll be better.