PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove pieces of dried wax from nooks and crannies?

Pages : [1] 2

underneath
02-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Here`s a noob question: When I wax my car I try hard to get every little bit of surface covered. However, this causes little bits of wax to dry in places that are hard to reach. I know I need to be more careful next time, but I can always see little, tiny sections of car that are white because of dried wax in an area it was not supposed to be in. Which product removes dried wax best? Thanks for ANY advice.

imported_Neothin
02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
if you have a PC, try cutting apart the pad that came with it into tiny little bits and sticking a toothpick into the tiny foam bits. I use these all the time in between panel cracks and such.

adept
02-06-2006, 10:49 PM
A short length horsehair brush would work great if you notice it soon after you are done detailing your vehicle.

underneath
02-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the info! Now, is there any product I should use to loosen up the dried wax (to make it easier to remove?)

specs
02-07-2006, 12:15 AM
i have the same problem. im going to try the toothpick idea next time.

thanks

JoeJ
02-07-2006, 02:00 AM
I just dampen it with a dilluted QD and then get after it with the appropriate tool

Accumulator
02-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I usually soften it with Meg`s #34. Be careful with BHBs, mine will mar paint if used dry. I use a sharpened toothpick/swab stick- I flag the end with a razor blade and soak it in #34 to get it soft. If possible, I use the stick to force MF into the area in question but you gotta be careful that the stick doesn`t poke through and mar the paint. You can also try the foam makeup wedges sold for ladies` cosmetics.

racingbeat
02-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Here`s a noob question: When I wax my car I try hard to get every little bit of surface covered. However, this causes little bits of wax to dry in places that are hard to reach. I know I need to be more careful next time, but I can always see little, tiny sections of car that are white because of dried wax in an area it was not supposed to be in. Which product removes dried wax best? Thanks for ANY advice.

Well since polish should be applied liberaly its a good idea when cleaning your paint either manualy or with a PC to tape up the gaps between body panels. I use the blue painter`s tape sold at Home Depot. I`m still new to using a PC so the dried bits get everywhere.

http://guidetodetailing.com/imageview.php?imageId=66

I`ve become very quick at applying this tape from using it to tape up my car for Autocross and track. If you have a convertible like me, a nylon soft top cover will keep the dried wax from getting into the canvas.

SilverLexus
02-07-2006, 12:56 PM
I use these:

http://www.autogeek.net/sm506.html

Work like a charm. :)

Lowejackson
02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Credit card wrapped in an MF cloth

cwcad
02-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Excellent product,Silver Lexus. Although I have never seen it listed before. Must take my time looking for products. Will have them in my arsenal on the next order.

But while I wait for the order, Lowejackson has a tip that I will be using tomorrow.

Thanks to both of You!!

JohnZ3MC
02-08-2006, 12:20 AM
A short length horsehair brush would work great if you notice it soon after you are done detailing your vehicle.

My technique also. I have a couple of them in my back pocket / shirt pocket, glovebox, some 1/2 inch wide trimmed shorter, some 1 inch, all horsehair. Short ones for wax removal, wider ones for dusting cracks in the interior.

-John C.

imported_truzoom
02-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Do you mean around emblems or inbetween panel lines? For inbetween panel lines, I just fold the corner of a MF towel and fish it in there, for emblems I may resort to a toothpick or qtip with IPA to clean things up.

Accumulator
02-08-2006, 08:45 AM
SilverLexus- Wish I`d spotted those whenI placed my last order with AutoGeek! Good find.

titsataki
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
I am sure regular Q tips will work as well. I used soft brush, foam brush or Q tips dipped into QD, or alcohol depending how caked out is the wax or dirt.

cheers

Nick