PDA

View Full Version : Churchill`s Parrot is Still Alive!

Bill D
02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Parrots, some of few pets that can out live their owners, are quite amazing! :

Link (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13832640_method=full_siteid=50143 _headline=-F----THE-NAZIS--SAYS-CHURCHILL-S-PARROT-name_page.html)

Setec Astronomy
02-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I was about to comment, before reading that, that he might have a lot more interesting things to say than the wife`s boyfriend`s name...but it turns out to be mostly curses!

ntoddalbert
02-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Many years ago I had an African Grey, arguably the best talking parrot, that would make the sound of my car alarm chirping, I would run to the window and he would cackle. He also did the doorbell, great when you live on the second floor... He seemed to take joy in making sounds that got a reaction out of you. Like the microwave done beep, that will drive you mad after a few years.

He later did crying babies, he also picked up a curse or two from the above mentioned items

I ran a pet shop in High School and we got a lot of parrots when their owner died. Of all the animals I ever had, and its a lot from reptiles to primates, Parrots always made me feel bad seeing something like that in a cage, even when out on a perch it just seems so wrong for this type of animal to be a pet instead of being in the "wild" They do make great pets though

One day my UPS driver was handing me a package and the bird did the doorbell, the guy was amazed, I said "want a parrot" Its been nice and quiet here ever since

Bill D
02-07-2006, 06:50 PM
. Of all the animals I ever had, and its a lot from reptiles to primates, Parrots always made me feel bad seeing something like that in a cage, even when out on a perch it just seems so wrong for this type of animal to be a pet instead of being in the "wild" They do make great pets though

I agree. Incidentally, at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, FL one can see parrots, and vast variety of other birds, flying freely about. They are under continual care and some freely participate in a "show and tell" mini seminar.

Accumulator
02-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Great link, Bill :xyxthumbs

imported_Neothin
02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I`m fully expecting my box turtle to last as long as I do. wet kitty food, grapes, carrots, and the occasional bannana and he`s good to go for 50-60 years. considering he`s ~5 years old right now, he`s got a long life ahead of him.

Lowejackson
02-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Interesting. After all the stuff I have read about Churchill I did not realise he had a pet