PDA

View Full Version : What`s the best change in your detailing process?

Pages : [1] 2

SilverLexus
02-06-2006, 02:55 PM
For me it was getting handy with the PC and rotary and using swirl remover polishes with a finishing pad. Really helps the surface prep.

What have been the biggest and most impactful changes in your process?

TGates
02-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Proper wash and dry techniques.

Unfortunately, I still rely on glazes as sort of a crutch on my dark blue car. I don`t have the patience to polish to perfection with a PC. I don`t mind glazes, though, as often as I apply a caranuba. I`m the only one who will know they`re under there.

skuz
02-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I have to say the first time I used clay after years of using only cleaner waxes.

Nothing since came close to that shock.

gmblack3
02-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Zaino and clay 4 yrs ago.

This place and a PC 5 months ago.

SpoiledMan
02-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I have to give it to Mike Phillips and his PC teaching technique. Not just having the tool but also being able to use it properly.:)

imported_chpsk8
02-06-2006, 05:56 PM
I would say clay first, then the PC. Couple that with the "real" products I use now compared to the over the counter stuff. I get better results much faster.

Wasatch
02-06-2006, 06:04 PM
I like using QDs in between washes, makes the truck look nice all the time.

Accumulator
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Washing with the foamgun, no question about it. It`s utterly revolutionized my detailing as I hardly ever have to polish out marring. I could probably get by easier without my rotary/PCs/Cyclos than I could without the foamguns. While I`ve changed products over the years (e.g., MFs), the foamgun is the big change in my *process*.

specs
02-06-2006, 07:10 PM
for now it would have to be, claying and using sealants.

im hoping soon it will be using the pc.

mack4000
02-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I have to give it to Mike Phillips and his PC teaching technique. Not just having the tool but also being able to use it properly.:)

He just released a new 2 hr, 45 min video going over his PC techniques. I can`t wait to get it since I can`t attend his weekend detailing clinic. I need to learn the proper PC technique. :waxing:

cwcad
02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Washing with the foamgun, no question about it. It`s utterly revolutionized my detailing as I hardly ever have to polish out marring. .

I would have to say it is the ever present posts of the Accumulator on how to avoid marring by using proper washing techniques. Been reading them for quite a while but until recently had concentrated on polishing out the marring. It finally dawned on me that just because I could dimish marring thru polishing eventually I would go thru the clear and then where would I be.

So washing techniques has to be my number one item at this time. Thanks Accumulator!!

imported_Neothin
02-06-2006, 09:33 PM
since getting serious with detailing, buying my foam gun was my greatest improvement. Even using multiple mitts while washing with a conventional two bucket method, I was still inducing a good deal of marring on my paint. After buying the foam gun, this marring as been reduced to nearly none. I dont have to polish as often and that is a wonderful thing.

3Dog
02-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Washing with the foamgun, no question about it. It`s utterly revolutionized my detailing as I hardly ever have to polish out marring. I could probably get by easier without my rotary/PCs/Cyclos than I could without the foamguns. While I`ve changed products over the years (e.g., MFs), the foamgun is the big change in my *process*.

MMMMM I`ll trade you one of my foamguns for a cyclo :spot

WSUcommuter
02-07-2006, 05:51 AM
Microfiber and QD :spot

GTScott
02-07-2006, 06:26 AM
The PC a while back.

Wife no longer checking the credit card statements.

The Poorboy`s line a few months back.

gmblack showing me his QEW wash procedure a week or two ago.

-GT