PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

theeloved1
02-06-2006, 09:06 AM
I was watching this game as an unbiased fan. I`m a Bears fan, but I "like" both of these teams...as in, I don`t hate them like say the Packers, Cowboys, or Redskins. I like many of the players on both teams with Randle El being one of my favorite players in the leauge.

All I can say is that the officiating in this game was some of the worst I`ve ever seen. Now, Steeler fans, don`t go crazy on me because I`m not whining about the Seattle loss...Seahawks definately didn`t play their best game and did plenty to hurt themselves...dropped passes, missed FGs, etc. However, the refs played a HUGE roll in favor of of the black and gold.

That pass interference on Jackson was NOT PI. 99/100 times in the NFL that call is not made. I don`t have a problem with them not overturning the Big Ben TD on review, because you have to have CLEAR visual evidence to overturn the call on the field and it was pretty close even on replay. However, I have a HUGE problem with the call on the field being made a TD in the first place. The line judge came running in with just his right hand up to mark him down and then Ben drags the ball up from his hip and sets it across the line. All while laying on the ground....presto...now the line judge has 2 hands up and its a TD.

The holding call to bring the ball back from the goaline on the Stevens reception = not holding. More importantly, why was that DE not called offsides when he jumped before the snap and was across the line early...then he does it again on the next play and isn`t called for offsides once again...

What was the NFLs biggest, most "we`ll be watching for it", rule change this year?....The horsecollar tackle rule would be the answer....it was nice of them to let, I believe, Porter get away with a blatant one on the sidelines on that Hasslebeck run...official standing right there and he doesn`t call anything. That automatic first down for unsportsmanlike and guess what...Hasselbeck doesnt` have to throw a 30 yard pass on 3rd down...which was intercepted.

Big Ben: "Hey look, the play clock is ALREADY at 0, I wonder if I can call a timeout still..."

Officials: "Sure Ben...say, did you know that Bettis is from Detroit?...we had no idea"

How is a defensive player making a tackle on somebody called for `making a block below the knees`??? "Here Pittsburgh, we`re making up new rules so you can have 15 yards"

I`m sure Pittsburgh fans will jump all over me and tell me to quit whining, but that honestly isn`t my cause. I was watching the Super Bowl as a huge FOOTBALL fan, and not as a fan of either team. I just think that the officiating is at least worth discussing.

Both teams played pretty sloppy, especially the Hawks, and I`m not upset to see Pittsburgh come out on top. They`ve had a hell of a road to get here the past 2 months and played well with their backs against the wall.

On a completely different note, because this thread isn`t intended just to bash the refs....I thought the commercials were better than average and started out very strong....definately dropped off as the game went on. My favorite was probably the Budweiser one with the streaker sheep. Very funny addition to an old classic commercial.

And lastly, the halftime `show`...I`m a fan of all classic rock music, including the Stones but that horrid display of `entertainment` was the worst halftime show I can remember. He sounded like CRAP, there was no production to it, it just all around sucked. It was a 3 song mini concert with no `bells and whistles`. The stage was cool, but that was it. I`d never go see a Stones concert because of ticket prices, but after seeing that display, I wouldn`t even go if I could get front row seats for $50.

zippymbr
02-06-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree, here in NC we did not have any true fans of either team watching the game with us on the big screen. It was the worst game I have seen in a long time, both in play and in the officiating. I could not believe how bad it was. Not to mention the commercials sucked. Overall it was a waste of time!

Arved
02-06-2006, 09:57 AM
See my post in another thread:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?p=674137#post674137

In the Superbowl, we need officials of the same calibre as the players. Not scaredy cats of the fans and host city.

theeloved1
02-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Editing your edit Tort...didn`t realize about posting the article...no problem :nixweiss

Read an article saying that Joe Montana didn`t show up for the MVP ceremony at the beginning of the game because he was demanding $100K. Everybody received $1000 for incidental fees while in Detroit, plus tickets to many of the weekends events.

Bradshaw was also said to miss because of money, though I`ve read a few differing things that said he missed due to "family"...

They should have said on the PA system..."and 3 time SB MVP, Joe Montana isn`t here because the NFL declined to pay the $100,000 that he was demanding!" :chuckle:

imported_flatstick
02-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I agree, here in NC we did not have any true fans of either team watching the game with us on the big screen. It was the worst game I have seen in a long time, both in play and in the officiating. I could not believe how bad it was. Not to mention the commercials sucked. Overall it was a waste of time!

From what I have heard the game was terrible. glad I did not watch any of it. was I the only one who missed it :soscared: I try not to get too involved with sports on tv anymore. I feel that I can be doing something more constructive :bolt

imported_reeeko99
02-06-2006, 10:49 AM
I was watching this game as an unbiased fan. I`m a Bears fan, but I "like" both of these teams...as in, I don`t hate them like say the Packers, Cowboys, or Redskins. I like many of the players on both teams with Randle El being one of my favorite players in the leauge.

All I can say is that the officiating in this game was some of the worst I`ve ever seen. Now, Steeler fans, don`t go crazy on me because I`m not whining about the Seattle loss...Seahawks definately didn`t play their best game and did plenty to hurt themselves...dropped passes, missed FGs, etc. However, the refs played a HUGE roll in favor of of the black and gold.

That pass interference on Jackson was NOT PI. 99/100 times in the NFL that call is not made. I don`t have a problem with them not overturning the Big Ben TD on review, because you have to have CLEAR visual evidence to overturn the call on the field and it was pretty close even on replay. However, I have a HUGE problem with the call on the field being made a TD in the first place. The line judge came running in with just his right hand up to mark him down and then Ben drags the ball up from his hip and sets it across the line. All while laying on the ground....presto...now the line judge has 2 hands up and its a TD.

The holding call to bring the ball back from the goaline on the Stevens reception = not holding. More importantly, why was that DE not called offsides when he jumped before the snap and was across the line early...then he does it again on the next play and isn`t called for offsides once again...

What was the NFLs biggest, most "we`ll be watching for it", rule change this year?....The horsecollar tackle rule would be the answer....it was nice of them to let, I believe, Porter get away with a blatant one on the sidelines on that Hasslebeck run...official standing right there and he doesn`t call anything. That automatic first down for unsportsmanlike and guess what...Hasselbeck doesnt` have to throw a 30 yard pass on 3rd down...which was intercepted.

Big Ben: "Hey look, the play clock is ALREADY at 0, I wonder if I can call a timeout still..."

Officials: "Sure Ben...say, did you know that Bettis is from Detroit?...we had no idea"

How is a defensive player making a tackle on somebody called for `making a block below the knees`??? "Here Pittsburgh, we`re making up new rules so you can have 15 yards"

I`m sure Pittsburgh fans will jump all over me and tell me to quit whining, but that honestly isn`t my cause. I was watching the Super Bowl as a huge FOOTBALL fan, and not as a fan of either team. I just think that the officiating is at least worth discussing.

Both teams played pretty sloppy, especially the Hawks, and I`m not upset to see Pittsburgh come out on top. They`ve had a hell of a road to get here the past 2 months and played well with their backs against the wall.

On a completely different note, because this thread isn`t intended just to bash the refs....I thought the commercials were better than average and started out very strong....definately dropped off as the game went on. My favorite was probably the Budweiser one with the streaker sheep. Very funny addition to an old classic commercial.

And lastly, the halftime `show`...I`m a fan of all classic rock music, including the Stones but that horrid display of `entertainment` was the worst halftime show I can remember. He sounded like CRAP, there was no production to it, it just all around sucked. It was a 3 song mini concert with no `bells and whistles`. The stage was cool, but that was it. I`d never go see a Stones concert because of ticket prices, but after seeing that display, I wouldn`t even go if I could get front row seats for $50.

Horrible calls on the REFs part. Sorry group should never get to ref a playoff game again.

saw the REFS WAY too much for a Superbowl game.

The game was evenly matched without the Refs help.

But someone abviously wanted a high scoring game for ratings!!!

Steelers were not in the end zone on the first TD they were given.

The Ref began to single Roth was down and then changed it to a TD when Bettis kissed him.

His elbow was down first !

Porters NO CALL Horse caller tackle was obvious!!! Oh but were gonna call this more during the seaosn per the NFL.

Porter running his big mouth pregame and then a no show in the game. Cool.

#52 for the Steelers was lining up in the zone all game and got the Seahawks for a holding call in one play cause he was jumping the count too early. !!

That push off on Jackson in the endzone was a ticking tack BS call. Both fighting for position.

Hasselbeck for a personal foul for blocking below the knees. U gotta be kidding me !

A QB doing that ? He had a Steeler shoving him down. Look at the tape.

Heck Madden was even questioning some of the calls.

The Commercials were ok. If I hear the Pizza Hunt commercial one more time I`m gonna puke. 12 times in 1 hour during pregame is enough !!

Sorry loser on my part?

NO, I didn`t like either team.

But I hate the Steelers today and the Refs today.

Let the Men play and keep the Refs from calling the game.

Win fairly with effort.

The Steelers won`t repeat next year.

They won`t get the breaks they got in the playoffs and Superbowl this year.

This game is typical why I hate professional sports more and more everyday.

imported_ajbarnes
02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I`m an Eagles fan and I was on our message board on the Eagle`s website talking about the same thing. I was actually "somewhat" rooting for the Steeler`s to win because the Seahawks beat the crap out of the Eagles this past season :sadpace: , but anyway, the officiating was just disgraceful and if you think about it, the Seahawks actually could have won.

theeloved1
02-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Without a couple of the blatantly terrible calls, its a whole different game and the Seahawks definately could have won. The score would have been much different and the Steelers would have been down by at least a TD...instead of in the lead...completely changes your strategy.

Whats if`s are just that though....you could do that all day back and forth. Congrats to the Steelers, but even their fans have to admit that the officiating was terrible.

twitch
02-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I didn`t pay much attention to the game it was just an excuse for a crawfish boil :)

The parts that I caught have me agreeing about the bad officiating. It was horrible.

Oh and the half time shows these days are out right sad!! How BORING can you get??

Spilchy
02-06-2006, 02:16 PM
What`s funny is that the Superbowl is officiated by the league`s best officials at each position.

Steelers got lucky with bum calls against Seattle including that non TD lunge by Big Ben and that interference call against Jackson in the end zone.

Seattle bit themselves in the foot. Dropped passes and passes that could have been TD`s were thrown a step out of bounds.

Ben played like garabge.

In my opinion, the Steelers were lucky. But some of the Seattle play calling was suspect.

In the end, it was a rather boring game marred with mistakes and sloppy play.

I did like the Randle El to Ward razzle dazzle! Randle El is from my alma mater.

I can only imagine how much fatter the Bus is going to get in retirement!

imported_Picus
02-06-2006, 02:36 PM
I`m a Steelers fan, got it from my dad - we sat in his basement watching yesterday and I must say for us it was quite the thrill. Being Leafs and Steelers fans means you have to take the wins you can get.

I agree the officiating was bad. The pass interference in the endzone was a bad call, so was the holding in the 3rd quarter. I do think Ben got the TD, though - and even if he didn`t the replay couldn`t show he didn`t for sure. I still think Seattle is more to blame for their loss than the refs. Allowing a 75 yard running td, AND a gadget play TD, and screwing up before the half on the "should have been a FG" attempt that never happened. And screwing up managing the time in the last two minutes, and quite a few offsides, a costly interception, dropped passes, stepping out of bounds on two big plays...

I think had they played a good game they would have won regardless of the bad calls. The Steelers did not play well, Ben looked terrible and their defense really looked confused, but Seatlle played poorly and lost the game. The end.

wannafbody
02-06-2006, 02:48 PM
the Steelers started horribly and Seattle managed the clock terribly. The Steelers won because of the defense making a couple good in bounds tackles. Play calling was IMO no worse than normal-but that isn`t to say that it was good either.

erik7
02-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Seattle didn`t play a good game, but with that said, they had more total yards, and caused more turnovers. If Seattle didn`t play well, how did Pittsburgh play?

Anyway, the gadget play never happens if one, the holding call is not made, the 2 offside calls were made, and lastly, Hasselbeck doesn`t get an illegal BLOCKING penalty during a TACKLE. Those 15 yards were huge. And it`s not a given the Steelers would have gained the 15 yards to get into gadget play territory the way their offense was playing.

Bad calls and non calls are made all the time in football games. But they usually even out and they usually aren`t glaring. There were FOUR OR FIVE glaring bad or non calls all against the same team. It`s not a conspiracy, but it does suck for the Seahawks.

imported_reeeko99
02-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I`m a Steelers fan, got it from my dad - we sat in his basement watching yesterday and I must say for us it was quite the thrill. Being Leafs and Steelers fans means you have to take the wins you can get.

I agree the officiating was bad. The pass interference in the endzone was a bad call, so was the holding in the 3rd quarter. I do think Ben got the TD, though - and even if he didn`t the replay couldn`t show he didn`t for sure. I still think Seattle is more to blame for their loss than the refs. Allowing a 75 yard running td, AND a gadget play TD, and screwing up before the half on the "should have been a FG" attempt that never happened. And screwing up managing the time in the last two minutes, and quite a few offsides, a costly interception, dropped passes, stepping out of bounds on two big plays...

I think had they played a good game they would have won regardless of the bad calls. The Steelers did not play well, Ben looked terrible and their defense really looked confused, but Seatlle played poorly and lost the game. The end.

Roth`s TD is so close to be inconclusive, So it should not be a TD.

You don`t award a TD if you can`t prove it, right ?

Quote: didn`t the replay couldn`t show he didn`t for sure ???

Take those 7 pts off the board and you possibly have a 3-3 game at the half.

Add the 14 pts on gadget play and Parkers nice run. 17-3, add Seahawks 2nd half TD and you have a 17-10 game. Making for a very close and exciting game.

The holding calls had a lot to do with the SEA having to pickup the Steeler D up the nuetral zone infractions and rushing the count.

Again the Ref`s were watching the results of those violations, not the instigation of those calls. #52 for the Steelers comes to mind, he was in the zone all fricken game.

Both teams looked pretty average throughout. Wasn`t much of a Superbowl in my mind.

It should come down to a battle of whom wanted it bad enough

( 17-10 and lets go into the 4th QTR and play some ball ), but the Refs killed almost every Seahawk moment building play they could muster.

Yes, SEA stunk on clock management at the end of the 2nd QTR. But that didn`t cost them the game as much as poor officiating.

SEA -Out of bounds called on the 1 yd line or was he pushed out ? Hmmmmm.

no flag ?

It is typical of the Steelers play. They got to play there game , except Porter whom the Ref`s were in his nut cup all game to avoid a situation.

They try to intimidate and bully everyteam. Instead of playing the game and outplaying the other team due to lack of talent and skill.

One of the online News sources maybe had it best today..

Steelers got a passing grade , but not by much.

Alot of C`s and D`s for grades. B for defense.

Yes, a win is a win unfortunately in this case. Proud of the win, maybe not. Grateful for a win -YES.

Better send some $$ to those refs and a lot of thank you cards Steeler fan.

Enjoy it while you can, cause it`s not going to happen next year. No dynasty in Pittsburgh.

Super
02-06-2006, 03:53 PM
The Steelers had better coaching the odds was on the Steelers to win because of this. Penalities is part of the game the less you make the better but yes it was bad calls in that game! A win is a win