PDA

View Full Version : Black Lexus Paint ?

RAG
02-05-2006, 09:25 PM
I was hoping somebody would know exactly what the story was with black lexus paint. Just the other day I did a black 330 and a moderate amount of black came off on my pads. the car was less than 2 years old, and I thought I was sure it was clear coated. So is the factory clear have color in it, or what? Actually, this is the second newer black lexus I`ve detailed recently where black had drawn into my pads. And yesterday I did a black toyota highlander...same thing - a small/med amount of black came off on my pads (except for the panels that had been repaintend). I think the Highlander was an `02 or `03.

My buddy owns a body shop - I think I`ll ask him tomorrow.

Scottwax
02-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I hear conflicting stories, seems to me though, that either the clear is tinted black or their is no seperate clear coat (integrated clear).

zippymbr
02-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I have had that happen on 2 black Lexi that I have detailed, but wifes 96 black ES 300 has a CC.

SpoiledMan
02-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I hear conflicting stories, seems to me though, that either the clear is tinted black or their is no seperate clear coat (integrated clear).

Yep, it`s one of these.

RAG
02-06-2006, 08:48 PM
I never cought up with my friend at the body shop. My wife just downloaded a picture she took the trunk on the lexus I was referring to with me standing next to it...notice the Autopia hat

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/trunkreflection.JPG

imported_Picus
02-07-2006, 06:44 AM
There was a long post over at Club Lexus awhile ago that tried to get to the bottom of this. I *think* they determined that all black `02 and before was single stage and some models even after `02 were. I know every black IS300 I`ve worked on has been.