PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a White `06 Chevy... where to begin?

NPfrigidchevy
02-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I have some products: Meguiar`s Gold Class liquid, Quik Interior detailer, NXT tech protectant, and Quik detailer mist & wipe. Are these products any good? I`m living through a winter in Alaska, even though the truck is garage kept, it spends 5-6 months at below zero temps.

Any help would be great.

imported_Neothin
02-05-2006, 08:50 PM
those are all decent products that you can use to great success. You may want to pick up a (few) decent sheepskin wash mitts, a claybar, and a wax. these can be found at alot of auto parts stores.

In my mind, the key to success on a white car is to have everything besides the paint looking the best that it possibly can. have dark black tires, clean wheel wells, crystal clear glass, etc all offset the white paint. This is what i feel gives white a good look. have these pieces good, and the paint will look even better.

NPfrigidchevy
02-05-2006, 09:52 PM
:furious: I just did a quick detail and although the truck looks good, I found some things I wasn`t happy about. What does it mean when you find a rough area on a new vehicle. There`s a patch on both sides of the bed about 2 sq feet in size where if I run the back of my finger over it, it feels gritty. I put some more wax on the area, but it didn`t change a thing. If that wasn`t enough I found out why they make mud flaps/splash guards... only 1020 miles on the truck and I have a bunch of rock chips already.

Accumulator
02-06-2006, 02:24 PM
NPfrigidchevy- Welcome to Autopia!

The rough areas are hopefully just some kind of contamination on/in the paint. See if the clay improves things. After the clay you might oughta use a paint cleaner (Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #1) and/or a mildly abrasive polish. Getting the paint as clean and shiny as possible before using the wax is the key to making white look good.