PDA

View Full Version : Ozone Generator specs and usage

imported_smprince1
02-05-2006, 04:47 AM
Here is a question for the pros I don`t think the entusiasts can probably answer. . .

I am considering buying an ozone generator to eliminate odors (smoke, food, mold, etc) from auto interiors. Sometimes a thorough cleaning still leaves lingering odors that can return.

1. What is appropriate output rating of ozone generator for auto interiors?

2. How long do you need to run machine to completely remove odors?

3. How effective is ozone compared to other methods? Do odors return?

4. Is it completely safe to interior auto materials (plastic, vinyl, rubber, upholstery, etc)?

5. Is it completely safe for humans?

6. Do the inexpensive units (~$100) do anything?

Thanks for your help! :thx

brwill2005
02-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Check out RGF environmental`s website. They are the manufacturer of my ozone generator. The website has lots of valuable information. I own the small mobile pro plus unit. It puts ou 10PPM @32 cfm. It has proven to be very adequate in my customer`s vehicles. I usually run it for 10-15 minutes. That is enough for most common odor problems. I have never had any problem with damage to interior materials, however, ozone is a very powerful oxidizer and should be used with caution. I have breathed the gas in on many occasions, with no ill effects. If is not recommended that you intentionally expose yourself to high concentrations of the gas. I would imagine that a unit that costs less than $100 would not be all that effective, but again if it produces adequate output, I suppose it could. I believe my unit retails for $500.

chml17l
02-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Ozone is very effective at destroying odors because it does so at the molecular level of the source. It can be a more effective odor remover than chemical/mechanical cleaning methods that only reach into the very top layers of surfaces.

O3 molecules are very unstable and will seek out and react very quickly to give up an oxygen atom and return to the pure O2 state. So, once the interior is aired out, there is no reason to worry about any residual ozone hanging around that may be considered harmful. Ozone is a powerful oxidizer and you shouldn`t breathe a high conc. of it in a confined space. I don`t think that you could ever get a high enough conc. of ozone over a sufficiently long period of time to harm anything inside the interior of a car with a typical ozone generator.

You may want to try using a small fan to ensure the ozonated air is well dispersed throughout the car to help saturate every inch of the interior. Be sure to also run the ac/heating system fans for a period of time, too.