PDA

View Full Version : Question about `maintenance` on a waxed car

Migraine
02-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi guys.

I`ve just finished cleaning my car after the worst week of salty roads here in the UK.

Looks a lot better :)

Anyway, its the first time that I`ve cleaned it since detailing it properly. Poorboys EX-P and Natty`s paste wax were on there.

Car still beads :woot2: which is nice - looks great.

What do I do when a panel needs polishing - ie when there is watermarking / ingrained dirt. Am I right in thinking that I`ll have to re-seal and re-wax if I polish a panel?

What do I do if a panel no longer beads - just re-wax if it doesn`t need polishing?

Cheers!

Chris

White95Max
02-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Yes, polish will cut through your wax/sealant. Water spots might come off by washing, but if not, you`ll need to use a paint cleaner, which will also remove your sealant/wax.

If it`s not beading anymore, rewaxing will cause it to bead again, yes.

01bluecls
02-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Pretty much if you repolish a panel, you are stripping the wax on it, so yes re-wax after you polish. Don`t wait till the panel no longer beads, this means there is little to no protection left on the paint if the panel is just "soaking" the water and not beading properly. Watch the beading over time, once they lose consistency and start to look less like beads then re-wax.....just my opinion.

Migraine
02-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys :)

I`m still a bit new to this! :)

01bluecls
02-04-2006, 07:19 PM
No problem that`s why this is a "community," "Like a good neighbor, Autopians are there!" (Statefarm) :)

imported_Neothin
02-04-2006, 07:27 PM
To extend the time between needing to rewax, you could always try something like OCW. It contains carnauba in it so it acts as a kind of "booster shot" to your wax application. I use it 1x a week after my wash to maintain the shine.

Porkanbeans
02-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Basically, if you do anything besides QD, wax, or seal the paint, you`ll have to re-wax. The best way to stay on top of your paint is to use a quick detailer daily. Poorboy`s Spray and Gloss is great, it leaves the paint slick and, well, glossy. Just do a quick wipedown everyday when you come home and you`re set!

Accumulator
02-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I generally try to stay one step ahead of my LSPs degradation. While it`s still beading/looking good, I`ll *VERY GENTLY* clay with the fine Sonus Green clay and reapply my LSP. As long as you don`t let it get too bad, and don`t inflict any marring that`ll need correction, the clay/rewax approach should work for quite a while.

velobard
02-05-2006, 11:02 AM
No problem that`s why this is a "community," "Like a good neighbor, Autopians are there!" (Statefarm) :)

The difference is that with Autopia it`s actually true!!!

Nevermind me, I`ve been p!ssed at State Farm ever since they non-renewed my renter`s policy for having actually made one small legitimate claim. Year and a half after the claim I got a letter in the mail that they were changing the state underwriting policies and non-renewed me. Since they non-renewed me no other companies would write me a policy except a few expensive high-risk policies that hardly offered any coverage and had massive exclusions. Heaven forbid I`d ever actually use the coverage I was paying for!

Migraine
02-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the advice guys - I`m getting there one panel at a time!

One of my problems is my poor painting skills - I had some minor damage which I chose to repair myself... I can`t paint to save my life and theres a very poor blend on the panel. :( I don`t really see the point of spending circa $800 (been quoted) on a $2,500 car! Kinda spoils the whole car but I know if I get it repaired something else will happen to the car!

Its looking good though. Pics when its done!