PDA

View Full Version : RMG/VMoose bonding issue?

Pages : [1] 2

klnyc
02-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Hiya,

Just a quickie question, will RMG or V-moose have a bonding issue with any sealant? I know these 2 has some sort of oil additive. I want to try this out on a red color car, but I dont know if this wil bond with my UPP or DP sealant. I also see Scottwax, he dont apply sealant on most of his detail he had done so far....He just apply `nuba wax on them. Any tips are welcome.

thanks

Mr. Clean
02-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I tried VM under PB`s EX. I found it`s performance to be lacking. Water beading in particular lacked uniformity and were loosely formed. I`ve read where some have suggested using EX, EX-P, and UPP over VM. Sure, they all will go over it, but IMO VM provides a less than optimum base for any sealant. Try it and see how it works for you.

Rolla
02-03-2006, 03:01 PM
From reading, SG will not bond over those.

Here

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?p=663813#post663813

It was suggested to me, to use UPP over RMG and then follow with a nuba such as nattys blue.

hirosh
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
from what i understand, RMG shouldn`t interfer with the bonding of a sealant. and i`ve used it under FMJ with no noticeable decrease in FMJ`s durability.

klnyc
02-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Hmm...I going test it out. But how can you tell if not bonding? :help: Say, if you have RMG or VM on the panel and if you try to apply the sealant, can you literally see it, if stick on the panel or not? Man...I probably going get beat up with this noobie question :bawling:

imported_Neothin
02-03-2006, 05:53 PM
ive noticed that the sealant is really difficult to remove... not in a hard to remove way, but rather in a smearing type of way. Also, I noticed remnants of the sealant reappearing even though i had previously gotten it all off before. the paint becomes cloudy looking.

SVR
02-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Well I have had no problems with KSG and the moose`s

I just apply alot of coats, first lot I wipe on, the rest are spray on, leave for 20 seconds then wipe off

After five spray on coats, it seems to stick well

No clouding or smearing

Took my car through a dust storm and bugs galore and my windows and paint with KSG were not harmed

Front windscreen had alot of bugs but they all fell off with a simple but careful cleaning with the window mop at the servo

Glided it over the glass then squeegee`d and crystal clear and slick

FMJ and UPP seem to be the easiest to use with VM etc though

imported_Picus
02-03-2006, 10:29 PM
I`ve not used VM under a sealant but I`ve used RMG under quite a few (ex-p, ex w/carnuaba, z2, z5, UPP, wolfgang) and didn`t notice any bonding issues or durability problems.

SpoiledMan
02-03-2006, 10:40 PM
If you`d like to try a neat experiment try this. Polish with SSR 2.5 and try a layer of SG over it. Please, please report your findings.

Richt
02-04-2006, 05:34 AM
I use RMG and VM under Wolfgang, UPP, EX, and Ex-p.

I wouldnt use them under SG or Autoglym EGP though.

Scottwax
02-04-2006, 06:16 PM
RMG seems to work fine under EX-P, no problems with VM either but I usually don`t let customer`s cars get past 3 months no matter what LSP I use.

SpoiledMan
02-04-2006, 06:23 PM
I guess I`m in the camp the goes with the thinking that a polymer sealant isn`t going to bond over an oily glaze/wax. IIRC, VM does have wax in it right? Isn`t there a reason why many use a sealant and then a wax and not the other way around?

Scottwax
02-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I guess I`m in the camp the goes with the thinking that a polymer sealant isn`t going to bond over an oily glaze/wax. IIRC, VM does have wax in it right? Isn`t there a reason why many use a sealant and then a wax and not the other way around?

VM does have wax protection. The reason people use it prior to a sealant is that VM also has chemical and light abrasive cleaning properties.

klnyc
02-04-2006, 06:34 PM
I think RMG has more oil than VM.

I couldn`t no test today......It freakin` rain all day :(

SpoiledMan
02-04-2006, 06:37 PM
VM does have wax protection. The reason people use it prior to a sealant is that VM also has chemical and light abrasive cleaning properties.

I understand that but it`s still applying a sealant over wax.