PDA

View Full Version : First post... I need longevity!

BBSlm
02-02-2006, 03:34 PM
This is my first post but i`ve been poking around the threads for a couple weeks. This site is awesome, I wish I had found it sooner!

Here is my situation.... I have a black VW Jetta that has some moderate paint damage (usual swirls, water spots...). I will probably us PBs line with PC to remove. My question is about what glaze/seleant/wax combo for longevity. I`m active duty militray (in iraq right now but planning ahead for spring detail) living in washington. Due to my job i`m not always free every weekend and some times gone for weeks to months at a time. Also with the constant rain in washington i want some thing that will offer the most protection for the longest period of time. this is what i`m thinking.

after wash/claybar/wash/removeswirl.....

AIO or UPP? - what are the bennefits of each and longevity? do i really to use one or could i skp this step?

topped w/Collinite 845 - i`ve read many threads about durability of this product, is it the way to go?

and any other steps i should take. I wouldn`t mind adding a glaze in there or some thing along those lines to bring out the black paint and help with swirls i`m unable to remove but i`m worried about the durability issues if i start topping to many different products. any suggestions would help!

BBSlm
02-02-2006, 03:36 PM
this is the car....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/crackr0ckz/DSC00005.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/crackr0ckz/DSC00003.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/crackr0ckz/DSC00001.jpg

adept
02-02-2006, 03:44 PM
After you use an abrassive polish like poorboy`s ssr line, I would follow up with a non abbrasive pre-wax cleaner/polish, such as AIO. Then top it with your favorite sealant/wax.

imported_Bence
02-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Welcome BBSlm!

If you want durability, you can go with Collinite 845, 476/885/238 (same), Finish Kare 2180, 1000P, or even Zaino Z5, Z2Pro.

What kind of appearance do you like? From the above three, FK1 will give you the most complete product range, followed by Zaino and Collinite as third. If you want a carnauba-type look, then go with Collinite or FK1. However only the FK1 lineup will give you total compatibility. Their carnauba-blend Pink Wax gives not only an outstanding look but it is interchangeable with their other products as well. Zainos are compatible with each other, but not with a carnauba. The Collinites are working excellent over anything.

Your turn :D.

PS: Don`t try to skip steps, because a holistic approach gives you the results you need. BTW, AIO is a cleaner/sealant combo with a little protection while UPP is a pure sealant.

Accumulator
02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
BBSlm- Welcome to Autopia, and :bow for your service in Iraq.

After you get the marring out with the PB`s products, I`d just wax it with Collinite- either their 845 or their 476S. Waxes are much more forgiving than sealants, if you use Klasse or UPP (which I use on some of my vehicles) you really need to get them perfect and keep them that way. Pretty tall order on a black car in your conditions.

I wouldn`t even bother with the AIO. If it were mine, I`d just use the PB`s stuff and then apply multiple applications of Collinite`s 476S. If anything, I`d use some kind of glaze (ClearKote`s RMG is popular these days) before the Collinite. But I don`t know if that`s really necessary. It`s easy to over-complicate this stuff and make it overwhelming for no good reason.

BTW, that`s a *nice* looking car- the wheels really compliment it. They look pretty labor intensive, cleaning-wise though!

PS- Just noticed that my bit about not overcomplicating things sounds kinda like a disagreement with Bence :o

BBSlm
02-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Bence- I`m really not to picky about "the look" more so the durability. If using another step such as a sealant then topping it with cullinite would look better and be more durable i could do that. I have no preference over carnauba/synth. or so much the look each has. I put a lot of miles on the car(TDI- 48mpg!) and it sleeps outside and sees a lot of rain (its usually wet so any thing with good beading characteristics works for me)

ok just reread some the posts, this stuff can get confusing...

and yes those wheels are rediculous to clean. i actually have new wheels now, replaced them with 19x8.5 Audi A8L, much easier to deal with didn`t really have much time to test the ride quality with 19`s though, still undecided.

imported_Bence
02-02-2006, 04:22 PM
If you are anal, don`t skip steps. If you are a guy who want honest, durable protection on a daily driver, I`m completely with Accumulator. The Collinites will give you the result you desire, especially an addicting beading characteristics.

Go, remove those scrathes with the PBs, and yes, slap on a few coats of the mentioned Collinites!

ZaneO
02-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Z2 Pro gets my vote for longevity.

titsataki
02-02-2006, 05:00 PM
same here Z2 with ZFX. With a finishing pad and the PC you should be able to put on quite fast...

Cheers

Nick

Thomas Dekany
02-02-2006, 05:33 PM
longevity = order a bottle of FK1 #2180 and a can of #1000. 2 coats of each - wait 20 minutes between application. You WILL be protected

Scottwax
02-02-2006, 07:06 PM
The Werkstatt twins, Prime and Acrylic Jett hold up very well and have really good depth for a sealant.

I second what Accumulator said...thank-you for your service! :)

imported_Neothin
02-02-2006, 08:11 PM
AIO followed by a couple of layers of UPP and then topped with a collinite. I don`t know if you could get anything more durable! I`ve also noticed that collinite Insulator Wax (#845) gives decent wetness, especially on a dark color. So with you having a black car, the above combo would be VERY durable plus giving a nice wet look to the car.

3Dog
02-02-2006, 09:09 PM
I agree with tdekany and Scott. Both would be excellent choices.

klnyc
02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
AIO

SG

RMG

Priceless :2thumbs: