PDA

View Full Version : Mix and Match

EicarG35
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM
I have never detailed my car before, but after lurking on these forums for quite some time now, I finally took the plunge. :rofl Well today I was talking to my friend about it and he said that he heard that mixing different brands of products was detrimental to the car. Is this true? I hope it`s actually perfectly fine to mix and match brands because I`m going to do my first detail this weekend with Sonus SFX 1/2/3, Mother`s Claybar with Meg`s Quik Detailer, Meg`s #7, and Mother`s Reflections Liquid Car Wax. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. Is masking tape required before I polish so that the polish doesn`t get on any other part of the car, or is it okay to just try and avoid these spots without having to use masking tape?

Sherman8r44
02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
No, it is absolutely fine to use different brands! It is not necessarily detrimental to use different brands of products, but certain products are not compatible with others. For instance, Mother`s Reflections wax has cleaners that may remove #7. Sounds good otherwise, just make sure you clay before you polish witht the SFX`s.

Most polishes stain trim, although some don`t...I can`t speak for the SFX`s though.

JasonD
02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
I apologize for the short reply in advance.

Brand name doesn`t matter. Mix and match all you want, we all do it. I`ve never used masking tape yet. It will ensure that you keep things clean, but I don`t ever seem to have a problem with that.

White95Max
02-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Since you`re going to be working by hand, I wouldn`t bother taping off the trim. It should be pretty easy to avoid it.

Mixing different brands is detrimental to the vehicle? Is your friend`s name Sal by any chance? :nervous:

imported_flatstick
02-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Mixing different brands is detrimental to the vehicle? Is your friend`s name Sal by any chance? :nervous:

Oh boy looks like he went there ! :rofl

EicarG35
02-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Okay that`s cool. Lol, not Sal btw. :p So #7 before Reflections would be of no good use? Should I just not use #7 then?

White95Max
02-01-2006, 05:36 PM
You can use both of those, but as I said in your other thread, #7 can be a pain to work with. It`s a great product when you want filling capability, but it`s more difficult to use than most other products.

EicarG35
02-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Okay cool. Just out of curiosity though, what makes #7 so hard to use?

twitch
02-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Would the #7 give him any benefit with the plan of action that he has?

To me (still a noob) it seems like following with the Mothers would be perfect after the SFX-3 and their wouldn`t be any sense in using the #7.

Am I wrong by thinking this? I just don`t believe it would make a big difference if any at all.

atticdog
02-01-2006, 07:55 PM
#7 was designed more for single stage paints not clearcoats

Sherman8r44
02-01-2006, 08:03 PM

To me (still a noob) it seems like following with the Mothers would be perfect after the SFX-3 and their wouldn`t be any sense in using the #7.

Am I wrong by thinking this? I just don`t believe it would make a big difference if any at all.

There would probably be a difference, but only so much. I mean, he has a finishing polish, SFX-3, which should give a very nice finish, and the cleaners in the Mothers would probably take off some of #7`s oils.

White95Max
02-01-2006, 08:50 PM

I think that he`s going to have swirls left over. He`s working by hand, so it`s going to be a lot of work to remove the swirls. The #7 will add fillers to the finish to hide any swirls that are left over.

My prediction is that he will attempt to remove the swirls, but eventually realize that buying a PC is the best thing to do. Hand polishing is a lot of work, and it`s really frustrating.

White95Max
02-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Okay cool. Just out of curiosity though, what makes #7 so hard to use?

#7 likes to smear a lot. So it`s hard to remove it. If you have some already, give it a shot on one panel and see for yourself.

imported_Denzil
02-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Save yourself the trouble and buy a PC. :woot: