PDA

View Full Version : PC tried it need help

frockc
01-31-2006, 11:10 PM
I just got my pc today so i washed the car and dryed it... Then i tried to use the pc i went over it once and it didnt seem to get any swirls out... I used the white pad i got in the sonus kit i got on here with the SFX-2 and tried a second time pressing harding and running it at speed 5 and 6...

How hard are u supposed to push cause when i give it some pressure the handle still vibrates alot is this normal??? The second time i did it i started getting this white dust stuff all of the hood but not a tone of it just a little here and there...

Also how much polish would u use on like the hood of the car just put it on once for the whole hood???

So then i used the green bonnet thing and a micro fiber to wipe it off and it maybe got out some of the swirls this car is brand new only like 2 weeks old so i don`t know how deep they are but i wouldn`t think to deep... Should i try a different pad like the more abbravise on and maybe the SFX-1??? I also noticed tonight when i drove home i could still see what looked like a little polish still left on ... I plan on going at it again tomorrow...

How long do u spend on it ???? What am i doing wrong??? What kind of light should i do it under can i do it in sunlight??

I`m in the Saint Louis area if there is anyone that could help me out please let me know...

Thanks

BigAl3
02-01-2006, 12:58 AM
one of the keys in removing defects is to do slow overlapping passes, and work in the product. you may have to do several passes. http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

White95Max
02-01-2006, 07:37 AM
It almost sounds like you tried to do the whole hood at once. Pick a spot about 1` x 1`, and spend several minutes polishing that area until the polish breaks down. Then wipe off the polish residue, inspect, and move on.

blkyukon
02-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Like imacarnut and White95Max said, it sounds like you went too fast and tried to go over too big of an area.

Here are some steps that might help:

* Start with One Section and use the least aggressive polish/pad combo to get the job done...Depending on the serverity it could be a meduim aggressive polish and polishing pad

* Work polish in completely (see the link in my sig below), remove residue, check work, repeat or go more aggressive (if needed) either by using higher speed, more pressure, a cutting pad or more aggressive polish.

* After scratches/swirls are removed or minimized step down to a less aggressive polish/pad combo to remove any hazing left from the more aggressive polishes...again repeat if necessary.

* Once the desired finish is achieved then move on to the other sections. By doing this it also will allows you to see what product/pad combo is needed without going too aggressive or not aggressive enough to get the job done.

Good Luck!

tomstin
02-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Frockc, all good information in these posts. I like to experiment on the truck lid. Work half of the lid or so to figure out how much you need to work the paint and product. I rarely go over 4 on the PC. I find between 3 and 4 moving the PC slowly and let the product do the work. Press hard enough on the PC until you here it strain a bit, but you shouldn`t have to lean on it.

Every product works a bit different so you need to play a little bit to figure it out. The paint, the product, pads, temperature, humidity all play a factor. I will warn you, this stuff in not just spreading some product and wiping it off. However, you will learn how your combination works best for you!

Patience my friend! And a lot of trial and error.

frockc
02-02-2006, 01:14 AM
So i went at it again and i think it actually worked pretty well on the trunk... i have a decent amount of swirils on the turnk so i`m gonna give that a try tomorrow...

My one question is if i wash my car is it ok if i run out of time to start the next day by quick detailing and then going str to polish??? or should i was hit again and can i do the same thing like powish out swirls then the next day QD and then the finer polish and wax??

Also is this dust its kinda whitish from the white foam pad or is it clear coat coming off??

What is a good lights to get for the garage when i`m working on my car so i can see the swirls really well?

imported_steveo3002
02-02-2006, 03:13 AM
id imagine the dust is where the product has dried out, dont keep working until it has dried on like chalk

imported_Denzil
02-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I think it`s quite ok if you don`t finish detailing in one day and continue by doing a quick detail and going at it again with the PC. I see no harm in that.

As for the white dust, it`s probably due to the use of excessive product or your pad caking up. Good lights to get for your garage can be incandescent or flourescent. Just be sure that they are really bright!

imported_chpsk8
02-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Might want to wash out your pad before you start over. It sounds like you may have a clogged pad. Don`t use too much product, maybe 3 dime size dabs to get you start. Even the links Blkyukon posted look like a lot more polish than I use, but they give you a good idea what polish looks like as it breaks down and ends it`s cycle.

Move fairly slowly when you work in the polish, go left to right, then up and down. I usually get a couple cycles like that until it breaks down and I have to wipe off the residue.