PDA

View Full Version : PC/Pads/Klasse questions after 1st use

bee1000
01-31-2006, 06:48 PM
I used my PC7494 with Klasse All-in-one on my 2004 Mini Cooper. I used the gentlest pad from the Sonus SFX set of pads.

I was happy with the overall process, and the results were good, but they weren`t as great as I hoped they would be. I still have swirl marks and tiny scratches that I hoped would have gone away. So:

Should I have used the medium SFX pad with the AIO?

Should I have used a different product with the medium pad, and then the AIO?

Should I just try again because it should have worked, and I just didn`t do it right?!

Before waxing, I used the Sonus clay which I don`t think worked as well as the Clay Magic clay I used before. The fallout that gets embedded in the hatch didn`t all come off with the Sonus; the Clay Magic seemed to get more of it off.

I used the Wunder Buffing towels - and I think they might be too soft! I noticed when I used them with quick detailer before that I have to work harder to get the residue off than I did with other, thinner MF towels.

This is a lot of writing for a first post, I know. I appreciate any comments and suggestions!

adept
01-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Well, first you need a pad with cutting power. So the pad that is the most gentle is not going to get rid of any swirl marks. Also, AIO is not an abbrasive polish at all, so it has no cutting power. You need to beef up your product and your pad. I suggest Poorboy`s SSR 2.5 and a Lake County Orange medium cutting pad.

imported_Neothin
01-31-2006, 08:09 PM
sheesh, 2.5 on an orange? that can deal with some pretty serious defects. If you wnt to stay w/ lake country, try a white polishing pad instead for your first few passes and see if your marring is removed with that. if not, bump up to the orange. least aggressive route first...

As adept said, AIO isnt abrasive. It`s a chemical cleaner product that leaves a light acrylic sealant behind. If you want to get out swirl marks, look into abrasive polishes. Poorboy`s SSR series, Optimum CC/CP, Menzerna IP/FPII, Meguiar`s #83/#80, etc etc are all commonly used abrasive polish combos. run a search, find what you like, buy it, and remove those swirls!

bee1000
01-31-2006, 08:49 PM
That`s pretty much what I expected. All in One isn`t really all in one.

There aren`t any major marks (well, there are 2, but I don`t feel comfortable trying to deal with them at this point). I thought maybe just using the PC instead of my own elbow grease would do the trick.

Next time, I`ll try something a little bit abrasive (I think starter slowly is the way to go!).

Thanks for the comments!