PDA

View Full Version : Sunglass cloth to gauge cluster

Pages : [1] 2

Diesel917
01-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Anyone ever try to do this??? I was sitting around cleaning my sunglasses with a cleanser/cloth set that I purchased at Sunglass Hut and thought that it might be a good way to clean my instrument cluster... since it doesn`t seem to scratch the sunglass lenses, would it be safe to use on my guage cluster that has a few fingerprints and a little dust???

Please share your experiences :thx

White95Max
01-30-2006, 06:52 PM
I use my nice MFs to clean my glasses/sunglasses when I`m in the car. In the summer I also have some S&G in the car, so I spray a fine mist on the towel and it cleans them right up. :)

Setec Astronomy
01-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Be very careful with that...the last thing you want is a swirled cluster.......

Diesel917
01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Thats what Im asking... will it be safe to use on the cluster or no... Sunglasses are 150... Car is $40K :laugh:

White95Max
01-30-2006, 09:56 PM
I would just use a very soft MF towel instead. Why risk it? Plastic gauge cluster lenses are a PITA to polish hazing out of. Their placement behind the wheel and inside the dash is less than perfect placement for polishing.

SpoiledMan
01-30-2006, 10:04 PM
I would have to think that if it`s safe on optics(that can easily give you a headache when scratched) that it would be just fine on the cluster.

kompressornsc
01-31-2006, 04:07 AM
I have a couple of lens cleaning cloths, and they are MF. They tend to be the sueded type. I actually wash them when I wash my big MFs-just put them in a lingere bag. So, if they`re a good quality MF, I don`t see any problem.

TGates
01-31-2006, 07:26 AM
If you HAVE to make contact with the gauge cluster, I`d use Meg`s ID and the softest MF you can find and very gently try to blot at the smudges until they`re gone. I wouldn`t put any pressure on it in terms of swiping motions. It scratches very easily.

When I get dust accumulation on mine, I take some pressurized air in the can and blast it with that.

medic159
01-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Of course it`s safe. Eyeglass lenses are far more fragile and prone to scratching than your instrument lenses. I use those little towels from the optomitrist all the time and I don`t scratch my lenses. My eyeglass lenses have the UV coating, anti-glare coatings which are super fragile.

Asonyexec
01-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Here is a little tip that will save you some big $$$. Found this out while doing some consulting work at a huge manufacturing plant.

In this plant it is required that the employees wear safety glasses and as you can imagine these glasses are constantly getting dirty and dusty. They have cleaning stations for their safety glasses where they provide some small paper towel sheets and a cleaning spray.

I noticed that the safety glasses were made of a cheaper, lighter plastic than my own eye glasses (poly carb lenses) and lighter than the plastic on my instrument panel. So the light went off and I thought why not use this same cleaning solution to clean the plastic cluster lenses in my car (and eye glasses btw) after all it was not scratching the safety glasses the guys were wearing. So I tried it and it worked great.

Best part is that a gallon of the stuff runs approx $16 or a 16oz bottle is 4.50. News flash, this is the same stuff lens crafter, sunglass hut type places sell for $5 - $10 for 2-4oz. It comes in both silicone & non-silicone formulas (non would be used in paint shops, clean rooms ect). Oh, and it`s made by BAUSCH & LOMB, I think they have a little experience in this field.

I started using the stuff after a ran out of PLEXUS and the silicone formula works and feels a lot like PLEXUS. It also works great on the tinted side of my tinted windows.

If you want to see the stuff try this safety supply company we used to use. www.northernsafety.com --- the product number is 105-1533 (silicone) & 105-1050 (silicone free).

DuMouixe
01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
I will try Mike`s method. Never touch them and blow it off with the bottled air.

Like certain parts of the car, just better to ignore, cause attempting to clean them makes it worse.

I have Novus Plexiglass Cleaner, but have never had much luck not scratching that part of the vehicle no matter how soft the cloth. The worst is getting fluid behind the plastic, never done that but have know people who had.

you could always roll the towel to remove smudges instead of wiping.

ramp
02-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Will air pressure remove smudges?

White95Max
02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Air pressure cannot make oil/grease disappear, so no.

TGates
02-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Will air pressure remove smudges?

Hey Ramp :wavey

Like the other poster said, air pressure will not remove the smudges. This is why I suggest using Meg`s Interior Quick Detail and the softest cloth you can find to GENTLY clean them off, then use the air pressure to remove dust when it accumulates on the cluster lens.

ramp
02-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey Ramp :wavey

Like the other poster said, air pressure will not remove the smudges. This is why I suggest using Meg`s Interior Quick Detail and the softest cloth you can find to GENTLY clean them off, then use the air pressure to remove dust when it accumulates on the cluster lens.

Hey Tyler,

Why not Meg`s QD? Or is that the same as Interior QD?