PDA

View Full Version : Review: Super Plush MF Wash Mitt from Specialty Motoring

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spilchy
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Product: Super Plush MF Wash Mitt

Price: $7.95

Vendor Claims: This is the first microfiber wash mitt I`ve ever been happy with. My lamb’s wool mitts now sit on the shelf because of this new mitt. Unlike traditional microfiber wash mitts, the fibers on this one are not looped and left open. This creates long fibers that draw dirt away from the surface into the mitt. It then rinses clean and is ready to go again.

Packaging: The towel came unsealed in a USPS package. I received this towel for free from Scott. He did NOT ask me to review it or ask me to post my feelings about it. I had a question or two about the mitt and next thing I knew, it was at my door step! Since it was for free, I think Scott skipped the “proper” packaging that he ALWAYS employs when shipping out orders.

Color/texture/dimensions: Cream colored, tight, elastic cuff with a soft, white loop to hang it by. Well constructed with durable stitching. I pulled at the fibers and they do not pull out. 10” long x 7” wide x 1” thick. The mitt has nice padding on the inside adding to its thickness. The fibers (1/2 inch long) are tightly bunched and much longer, plush and free flowing than the traditional, first generation tightly bunched, short, compact MF mitt fibers. Those mitts are not as plush and more difficult to rinse. This mitt’s fibers allow for more soap absorption and clinging, easy free rinsing, and less chance of marring. Much like a sheepskin (and the lesser quality synthetic Meguiar’s GC mitt), it holds loads of soap. The fibers are very soft and plush, just like a top quality MF towel, only much longer. Also, it is nothing like those thick looped MF mitts with the exposed rough backing.

How I used: I washed a waxed car this evening that had normal dirt accumulation with Meguiar’s GC, foam gun and the 2 bucket method. Given the tight cuff, it never touched the surface of the car. It glided effortlessly like a sheepskin across the surface without any need for real pressure. I only used it on paint and glass, not bumpers, lower rocker panel or wheels. Those I used dedicated sheepskins for like I do with all my washes. It’s too nice to use in that fashion.

Overall Thoughts: This is NOT your traditional MF mitt! There is nothing else like it that I have seen. Imagine your plush MF towel with longer fibers and padding and that’s what you get with this mitt. I would use this mitt on a lightly soiled vehicle. I feel it might be a tad delicate to use on a filthy car. It was a total pleasure to use, gliding like silk along the surface. It is perfect for an Autopian weekly washing and even on a garage queen. It is definitely worth a spot in your arsenal of wash tools if you are placing an order at Specialty Motoring. If you’re into trying something new, it’s worth a shot.

Other Notes: I simply rinsed by hand in cold water under the faucet until I felt it was clean. I flung it dry and hung by its hook. When 90% dry I chucked in the dryer on low heat for 10 minutes. The mitt was plush and soft. After a few car washes I’ll clean it in the machine with some MicroRestore on a cold delicate setting.

Purchasing: http://www.specialtymotoring.com/microfiber.htm

Pictures:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0295.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0296.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0298.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0297.jpg

Bill D
01-30-2006, 05:12 PM
The fibers kinda remind me a thick piled, shag throw rug. Sounds like you`re very happy with it and it appears to be a good alternative to natural sheepskin.

imported_truzoom
01-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Almost looks like carpet! Thanks for the review.

Setec Astronomy
01-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Spilch, I have speculated that the companion SMP wash pad, the Autogeek "Bone", and the Meguiars Quik Detail Pad are all very similar. However, the pile in your picture looks much deeper than the Meg`s product, but it`s hard to tell. Have you seen the Meg`s Quik Detail Pad, and if so, can you compare the pile?

Spilchy
01-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Have you seen the Meg`s Quik Detail Pad, and if so, can you compare the pile?

I own it and no, although similar, the pile is not as long. They are similar, but imagine the Meguiar`s pad with longer fibers and a bit more free flowing. I can`t comment on the bone. Scott does sell a bone too with the same makeup as the MF mitt I reviewed.

Setec Astronomy
01-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Jr. and I have been washing with the Meg`s pad, and they seem to work fine. You would guess that Scott`s wash pad of the same material as the mitt would be a better choice?

SilverLexus
01-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Spilchy,

Quality review and pics. Thanks! :xyxthumbs

Spilchy
01-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Jr. and I have been washing with the Meg`s pad, and they seem to work fine. You would guess that Scott`s wash pad of the same material as the mitt would be a better choice?

Yes, simply because the pile is longer, like a shag carpet.

I like the Meguiar`s pad (nice, soft and spongy), but the SMP "bone" pad would be a better choice for washing given the longer fibers. I just feel it would free rinse better and encapsulate the dirt better since there is more room between the end of the fibers and the base of the pad.

Thanks Lee! :up

Sherman8r44
01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Great review Spilch!

BTW, the Cobra "Bone" is the same as Scott`s MF sponge--they buy their MF from the same supplier.

Spilchy
01-30-2006, 06:54 PM
It did a nice job of free rinsing. I attribute it to the longer fibers that don`t stick together like the other, low pile MF mitts.

The car was lightly soiled. I wouldn`t recommend it on a heavily soiled car. It may be atad delicate for that.

This mitt is for a gentle, take your time type washing on the paint / windows of a lightly soiled car like I`ve mentioned.

The bone looks nice too.

PakShak
01-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow! Looks like a winner!

Can you please send me one as a sample. :D

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

ABS
01-31-2006, 07:57 PM
It sure looks different from my MF Wash Mitt!! Sure like to give it a try, hope it can release the dirt better than my wash mitt!

How does it compare with a Genuine Sheepskin Wash Mitt?? Anyone knows?

SVR
02-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Yeah looks killer hey ranney.

Just emailed SMP about them, looks like my sonus mf mitts have some serious competition

EBPcivicsi
02-01-2006, 07:20 AM
It looks a lot like the "zwipes" MF mitt at autozone (which I tried and saw marring). Anyone used both?

Thanks for the review, awesome pics!!

Spilchy
02-04-2006, 10:38 AM
It looks a lot like the "zwipes" MF mitt at autozone (which I tried and saw marring). Anyone used both?

Thanks for the review, awesome pics!!

I saw it too at K Mart. Very similar looking but that`s where it ends. The feel is totally different. The Zwipes feel more sticky and grabby where as the SMP mitt is soft and silky. No comparison in the "feel" department.