PDA

View Full Version : The PC 7424

SaabRX
01-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey everyone. Serious NOOB over here that found the boards due to cat scratching my Hood , I posted for help and Was Informed i could get rid of swirl marks, (BLACK CAR) I have done some :work: I found some Help in washing techniques and Some products of use. I have a question about the PC 7424 . What`s the difference between this and the sears or walmart buffers?

Iv`e heard from people you don`t wanna use buffers, let the pros use them. IM scared i will ruin my cars finish if i use one. I bought a Buffer but ended up polishing my shoes with it. ANd teh pads that came with it are alittle well Abrasive...

HOw hard is it to find pads for the PC 7424 ? And how easy is it to use? CAN A NOVICE DO IT? :buffing: and make it look like the JEEP In the black car trend MAN> THAT IS ONE SWEET DETAIL JOB! :drool: I so want my car to look like that this summer. Thanks...

Marty..

hOAGART
01-29-2006, 08:39 PM
The PC is very easy to use IMO. i just used mine for the first time yesterday and love it. I purchased everything I need here at teh autopia store.. jusst click ont he links below, I purchased the Sonus pad kit and liked it very much. there might be better but its better than the sears buffer I was using..... :werd:

imported_Neothin
01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
the sears buffers dont have the quality that the porter cable does. Nor do they have variable speed controls. Nor do they have a powerful motor in them that helps prevent the machine from bogging down when put under load. basically, the pc is better in every way :D

do NOT be afraid of the PC. Unless you sit there and chuck the machine at your car, it`s not going to hurt your paint. This is due to its orbital motion. It doesnt create as much heat as a rotary buffing machine will, and this is what makes it safe.

Look at places like exceldetail, pakshak, autogeek, cma, PAC, etc etc they all have pads for the PC.

Djmigs
01-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi Marty, :wavey

i will try to asnwer as much as i can, what i cant other can....swirls,scratches,mirco marring are most people here worst enemy the thing is you need to find out what caused it for example use an old wash mitt to dry your car with the cotton towel that you finished wipe your tiresor rims now in your case you sad a cat scratch it...

some cars have soft C/C while other have Hard C/C there are other....anyhow to first respond to your first ? difference between buffer well the walmart and sears for example those are to apply and remove LSP(wax) only the resason for that is the dont have to power/tq/motor like the PC 7424 that is why you see a bigger price difference...

i say this because i had purchased one sears buffer four or five years ago until i found this and other forums to help me out....so if i can help anyone out and save them there time and money i will....plus i didnt mention the sears or walmart buffers are one speed and the PC 7424 which by the way is simular to the PC7336 only difference is counterweight but back to what i was gonna say is the Pc724 has a variable speed from 1 thru 6....

now for you next ? buffers well when you say buffer its a genral name its like says cars instead of Pontiac trans am...but the PC 7424 is an dual action orbital buffer which the head or pad when turned on while do two differnt movements one is spin in one direction but also jiggle but a circular polisher/buffer pad will turn one direction and that it so its force is contrated in one direction plus is has more amps/power/torque...

a Pc7424 is a must have imho but other will not agree there are other machine but i wont go off topic....now th Pc7424 you dont have to be scared because as i was once told it bubba proof the only way you can do some damage if you use the wrong pad for example an aggresive pad and an aggresive compound that or start whacking the pc against the hood....but yes the pc is user freindly..

to find pads is very easy you can order them through body shop suppliers or order them online ,myself i order them online there are some many brands out there remember there is no #! pad you simply try them and if you dont like that pad go to the next brand we all have are own prefernce...by the way if you do by the pc7424 dont use the white pad it comes with plus you will need to buy a backing plate for which ever brand of pads you want...yes a novice can you a pc7424 even replace the pad ...

jlineman
01-29-2006, 09:03 PM
I went through what you did and after lots of advice bought a PC. The main thing IMO is that there are many different pads available for the PC, allowing you to do so much more and acheive a far better finish than with a "Sears" buffer. As you have noted, not much choise in the pads with a regular ole buffer. As far as being afraid to use a PC..you could just about run it in one place and not hurt the paint. Its just a learning curve as far as pads and polishes to use and how to use them. When you get a PC come back here and there will be plenty of members that will help you.

Good luck

SaabRX
01-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Wow, HUGS and CRIES .

I think i just found my new HOME!!! Cheers Mates..

Hopefully I can get all the information i can and Take it to heart , then this spring goto TOWN>.

But first i think im gonna send my car to a detailer to get rid of all the swirl marks. Mostly caused by the dealership when i got it, DAMM CAT SCRATCHES> ahh1!!!! and some Obviously by me becuase i used a sponge! I know i know. But i didn`t know and this was my first black car. Hopefully i can maintain what the professional does and Just upkeep it.. With you My fellow members EXPERTISE I`m sure i be detailing like you all in no time.. IM SO EXCITED> God im glad i found this PLACE.

Next order of bussiness.. I want and AUTOPIA.ORG sticker! LOL Thanks.

BigAl3
01-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Hopefully I can get all the information i can and Take it to heart.

i sure do, and you will definately find a never ending supply of useful info/tips from alot of really nice people here on autopia. :welcome

scottabir
01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
never ending supply of charges on your credit card too......

BigAl3
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
never ending supply of charges on your credit card too......

ain`t that the truth! :rofl

imported_Reflections
01-30-2006, 03:25 AM
The PC is very easy to use IMO. i just used mine for the first time yesterday and love it. I purchased everything I need here at teh autopia store.. jusst click ont he links below, I purchased the Sonus pad kit and liked it very much. there might be better but its better than the sears buffer I was using..... :werd:

I`d like to second the Sonus kit. I first bought the DAS pad kid when I got my PC. I later ordered the SFX kit and am very happy with it. The pads are smaller and work faster.

I always see people mentioning everywhere else but Autopia to order supplies. I have had some good luck with other places, but never have I had better service than from Autopia. Mind you they don`t carry all the products I use, but if I have to choose between another distributor and Autopia, price being the same, if the product`s available, I will pick Autopia everytime for their great service and for creating and maintaining this forum. Seems like they don`t get enough credit sometimes!!

SaabRX
01-30-2006, 05:17 AM
Good thing FOr me I don`t use credit cards!! LOL. Prolly should stop buying mods anyways. Just acouple more things for me.. But now it`s time to LEARN and TAKE BETTER care of my car.. But in all Fairness to me . ever since i have owned it. Two washes a week, Three in winter time. and i Dust it two times a day. haven`t really been able to in all THIS RAIN> OMG.

Why can`t it rain Deionized water..LOL that would be cool!