PDA

View Full Version : wax removal Q

Pages : [1] 2

Brian_Brice
01-28-2006, 06:37 PM
I have a 2002 silver mb c320 andid like to remove the only product i have on it ( meguires carnauba) so i can do at least a three step project on the paint. would it be safest if i just wait a few more washes for the wax to be removed or should i use an uncoat remover?

Accumulator
01-28-2006, 06:56 PM
You can use rubbing alcohol, either straight or mixed 50/50 with water. This will either strip it completely, or at least compromise the LSP enough that the first of the prep steps will be able to remove any that`s left.

adept
01-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Use dawn for a fresh start! :-p

White95Max
01-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Dawn can`t strip wax worth a d*mn. It couldn`t cut through NXT on my car.

06E90
01-28-2006, 07:31 PM
If you are going to do a three step process (I am assuming Megs 3 step) then step one will take care of the old wax. Also consider claying before.

Brian_Brice
01-28-2006, 08:18 PM
thanks guys, just didnt want to mess this thing up, its in superior condition and i will get pics up in my garage soon, im not using megs three step, what i was thinking is.....

wash with e1

mix a little undercoat remover in soap or rub entired body down with micro

clay with four star fine

cut with(because i did see a few tiny swirls)hi temp light

klasse sg

trade secret carnuaba

i need some nice wheels for this because i got those rounded off seven stars, they do have the mb emblam chrome plated though so at least i get to have fun pollishing them, i use wheel wax after pollishing all chrome on it. the metal is definitely blinding, but i want the paint to be too and i know silver is kinda hard to do so but do you think this process will get the results im looking for. basically like most of the cars displayed here>?

3Dog
01-29-2006, 08:19 AM
I believe you will need AIO before your SG for the sealant to bond properly.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Wheres your polish?

Accumulator
01-29-2006, 09:43 AM
I dunno about the undercoating removal stuff in the wash. I`d just wash normally, wipe down with some rubbing alcohol on a MF, quickly rewash and rinse. The claying and HT Light Cut will take care of anything that`s left and would cut right through it anyhow. I just like to compromise existing LSPs a bit. That Meg`s carnauba won`t hold up to well to any real abuse ;)

I`d follow up with something milder after the Light Cut. To make silver really look impressive you have to a) get all the marring out, which calls for good inspection under various light sources, and b) further burnish the surface with mild polishes. The almost-invisible marring that makes silver so nice (the way it hides such stuff) is often what prevents silver from looking really impressive; the light refracts a little instead of just reflectiing. Not as easy to see the reason why as it is on black, for instance. I spend as much time inspecting my silver vehicles as I do polishing them.

And yeah, I`d use AIO before the SG. I`d get about three-four layers of SG on before topping (if I topped at all).

Brian_Brice
01-29-2006, 12:20 PM
thnaks for the advice all, three or four layers of sg? would that prove more worthy than one layer then follow up with a few coats of ts carnuaba?

White95Max
01-29-2006, 12:55 PM
SG will keep layering, but a carnauba will not layer like a sealant will. The solvents in the wax will compromise the previous coat.

Accumulator
01-29-2006, 06:29 PM
I`d get a few layers of SG on and *then* start layering the carnauba.

White95Max- You and I might be on opposite sides of the age-old "can you layer carnaubas?" argument :D

Brian_Brice
01-29-2006, 07:03 PM
well i did see the reasoning behind layering sg, you can actually see the difference if you have about 800 watts of lighting in your garage. if it werent my car i wouldve waxed right after removing sg but ill wait till tommorow to do so. turned out real nice so far just not the clarity to see yourself like i want but once again i guess silvers a tough one. thanks for all the advice ill get a pic up tommorow after wax.

Brian_Brice
01-29-2006, 07:07 PM
oh yeah rubbing alcohol performed nicely. pretty impressive process actually

White95Max
01-29-2006, 07:42 PM
I`d get a few layers of SG on and *then* start layering the carnauba.

White95Max- You and I might be on opposite sides of the age-old "can you layer carnaubas?" argument :D

I suppose it`d be more possible with some carnaubas than others. I don`t doubt that Collinite or #16 might be layerable, but less durable ones...I don`t know. My vision isn`t good enough to watch molecular bonding, but considering how extremely thin the layer of wax is, I can`t imagine it being too difficult for a solvent to remove it.