PDA

View Full Version : ice-free...anyone try it...looks interesting

petp
01-27-2006, 09:42 AM
""NASA technology in new anti-icing windshield spray

NASA NEWS RELEASE

Posted: January 25, 2006

A new product using a NASA-based technology might make winter just a little easier to endure for those living in parts of the U.S. where snow and ice are common.

Ice Free is a spray for automobile windshields that can provide protection up to minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit, according to its producers, WorldSource Inc. Applied prior to inclement weather, it prevents ice or snow from bonding on windshield surfaces.

"As we continue to explore the universe, we are proud that NASA`s pioneering efforts keep fueling American creativity, innovation and technology development," said David Morse, acting chief, Technology Partnerships Division at NASA Ames Research Center, located in California`s Silicon Valley. "This new product is yet another example of the additional dividends Americans reap from their investment in space exploration."

The technology that led to the creation of Ice Free is based on an anti-icing fluid developed by a three-engineer team at NASA Ames. The team designed a non-toxic fluid to keep ice from building up on airplanes. At the time, the anti-icing fluid was hailed for making flying safer, without introducing dangerous chemicals into the environment.

In fact, the fluid was biodegradable and so environmentally safe that it was referred to as "food grade," because the ingredients used in its creation were approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in food.

When the invention was announced in 1997 by co-inventors Leonard Haslim, John Zuk and Robert Lockyer of NASA Ames, the fluid was said to be able to prevent ice build-up on airplane wings and also on automobile windshields, a feature retained in the new product.

"A commuter is much more likely to start his drive without having to spend the time scraping ice and snow off the car windows. We feel it is a great product, and we thank NASA for the opportunity to market Ice Free," said Brian Jue, chief executive officer, WorldSource Inc., which is currently marketing Ice Free on the Internet and in television advertisements.

"I often heard how advancements due to NASA research and development help mankind enormously and, if you live in an icy part of the U.S., this is further proof of the accuracy of that statement," said Bob Harrick, president of WorldSource. "NASA technology played a key role in the development of this very useful product."

WorldSource is a developer and distributor of products for the consumer marketplace. It has established an experienced management team with considerable expertise in the development, manufacturing, marketing and distribution of consumer products""

http://www.worldsourceinc.net/icefree.htm

Setec Astronomy
01-27-2006, 10:01 AM
I dunno, that sounds a little pricey, I`m sure you`d have to reapply it at least after each precipitation event, or any use of your wipers, or car wash, for that matter.

ntoddalbert
01-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Its funny that NASA operating in a moisture free environment would be involved in this. Once your above 35K give or take a few K there is no moisture to worry about. Unless they are spraying on re entry? they never launch with visible moisture present so its not a take off issue?

The airlines are kind of forced to use the airports deicing system, the glycol based fluids were allowed up until fairly recently to just run off and get into the groundwater or sewer system. A new better/safer fluid is certainly needed. Now its all controlled by the airport instead of 20 operators deicing now its just one station, causes a lot of delays....

I would say99% of things people say were developed by/for NASA are BS.

I love that bed they advertise that was designed for NASA. Weight of course is a huge factor for NASA, not for me, Being able to stow when not in use is huge to NASA but again not to me. Sleeping in a Zero G environment is what NASA was shooting for, while I have held my bed when I felt like the room was spinning I have yet to experience zero G`s at home. Now why should I buy this bed again?

As a Pilot and Aircraft Tech I can tell you we dont use any new liquid deicing fluids, they are still glycol based, and expensive due to the regs about its disposal.

Liquid deicing on the ground is hot issue with environmentalists these days. In flight though hot engine bleed air or electric heat in older models is what is used. There are a few really old planes that still use fluid in flight. I used to work with an older corporate jet that had a quart or so of this nasty liquid deicing fluid that would be sprayed just like a car on the windshield. My plane left the reservoir empty as we heard horror stories of it leaking onto the copilots feet in flight.

Years later that liquid was banned for causing serious nervous system problems in people exposed to it. I know one man who has been seriously affected by his exposure to that chemical, glad we always kept ours empty.

I have been seeing these red bottles of spray you apply the night before, the stuff looks like Hawaiian Punch, I dunno if it works but since my car is white I haven`t tried it....

Deicing washer fluid and my defroster has been pretty good for me this year, then again we haven`t had much ice.

A buddy at work puts this nylon thing across his windshield whenever it snows, its held on by the wipers and I think a piece inside each front door? I have been out there getting rid of snow on my window and out he comes and just pulls it off and no snow. I would think it might also freeze to the window at times so I never bought one.

imported_nowaterno
01-27-2006, 05:36 PM
1Z Eistau, sprayed on an icy window dissolves the ice in a minute or two. approx $8/16oz