PDA

View Full Version : help me choose a leaf blower

Pages : [1] 2

BigAl3
01-26-2006, 07:53 PM
alright.... i am considering picking up a leaf blower (one that will last!) so it will make it easier to dry the wheels, door jams, etc... and not to mention i`ll use it for lawn work as well :o . i don`t want to spend no more than around $50 and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions (was considering a $20 leaf blower, but they seem kind of weak). here is one i am considering.... http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07174824000&subcat=Blowers what do you guys think?

imported_Neothin
01-26-2006, 07:56 PM
I personally use my detachable blower from my wet/dry vac. I have the 6.5 hp, 265 mph craftsman vacuum/blower. It costed 99 dollars. I know this is a little more expensive than what you want to spend, but craftsman and ridgid (the home depot counterpart) have cheaper, less powerful vacuum/blowers available that are in your price range. I dont know if you need a vacuum, but i like having the combination tool.

BigAl3
01-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I personally use my detachable blower from my wet/dry vac. I have the 6.5 hp, 265 mph craftsman vacuum/blower. It costed 99 dollars. I know this is a little more expensive than what you want to spend, but craftsman and ridgid (the home depot counterpart) have cheaper, less powerful vacuum/blowers available that are in your price range. I dont know if you need a vacuum, but i like having the combination tool.

i am going to get the ridgid wd4050 vac soon (has detachable blower), but.. wanted a seperate leaf blower so i can do the lawn amongst other things.

imported_Neothin
01-26-2006, 08:07 PM
if it has a detachable blower, why do you need a second one? all you need is an extension chord and your good to go.

BigAl3
01-26-2006, 08:13 PM
if it has a detachable blower, why do you need a second one? all you need is an extension chord and your good to go.

my pops may want to use it and i don`t want him to touch my vac (when i get it) as he`ll end up breaking, dropping or mishandling it. :rolleyes:

imported_mrecktid
01-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I`d be interested in a leaf blower for around $50 too, that Sears one looks ok...

twitch
01-26-2006, 08:49 PM
I have this Black and Decker Blower (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2422994&cat=4891&type=1&dept=5428&path=0%3A5428%3A4091%3A4891) that I picked up from WalMart. It has worked flawlessly for me through 2 Louisiana summers which involves needing to cut the grass and blow sometimes twice a week. Honestly I`ve not thought about using it to dry any parts of the car but ding ding what a great idea thanks! I have used it to dry my lawn mower because you know having an Autopian mentality the mower stays clean too :laugh:

Pick one up, give it a shot, and if it doesn`t serve your need WalMart will take it back.

BigAl3
01-27-2006, 12:59 AM
I have this Black and Decker Blower (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2422994&cat=4891&type=1&dept=5428&path=0%3A5428%3A4091%3A4891) that I picked up from WalMart. It has worked flawlessly for me through 2 Louisiana summers which involves needing to cut the grass and blow sometimes twice a week. Honestly I`ve not thought about using it to dry any parts of the car but ding ding what a great idea thanks! I have used it to dry my lawn mower because you know having an Autopian mentality the mower stays clean too :laugh:

Pick one up, give it a shot, and if it doesn`t serve your need WalMart will take it back.

i was just in walmart and they didn`t any black & decker leaf blowers. i noticed they had one by WEEDEATER (is this a reputable company?) and it was only around $26.76 and it was small and compact. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=876348

i was curious... is 110 mph & 7.5 amps enough? also... it had a 2 year warranty.

JohnZ3MC
01-27-2006, 02:48 AM
I picked up (Home Depot) a Toro two speed electric model and it has worked well. I`m not sure of the model but it`s light, very easy to lift around and point at the car, and the air speed is over 200 mph if memory serves. Toro made a cheap 1 speed model for well under $50 but I opted for the 2 speed. It works really well to dry the car, in fact, I just laugh every time I watch the water beading up and flying off the car. It`s like getting something for nothing. Mind you, the effectiveness of the leafblower is proportional to the amount of wax/sealant on the car. The slicker the surface, the faster the water gets blown away.

It came with a vacuum option which is a bit of a bonus - the little woman can vacuum up leaves and twigs in the fall.

Stick with electric because the air it blows is cleaner. Remember the gas models sometimes have the exhaust venting into the air exit area so you don`t want strange vapours landing on the clean car (and they`re usually heavier).

Give the 2 speed Toro a look when you go shopping, the 2 speed is worth considering and the price is close to what you want to spend.

-John C.

scottabir
01-27-2006, 03:21 AM
It came with a vacuum option which is a bit of a bonus - the little woman can vacuum up leaves and twigs in the fall. :eek: :shocked :scared: :soscared: be careful of stuff coming back out once you aim it at your paint!

Pats300zx
01-27-2006, 03:57 AM
I borrowed a friend of mines leaf blower. Its the Sears 200 mph model and sells for about $49.00. I was very impressed with it. I will be getting one when my old Toro and older Sears model dies.

velobard
01-27-2006, 06:48 AM
i noticed they had one by WEEDEATER (is this a reputable company?) and it was only around $26.76 and it was small and compact.

Weedeater USED to turn out decent products, but they`ve gone after the low-end market (kinda like Schwinn bikes going to Walmart). I`m not sure if they sold out to another company or what, but their quality is nothing like I understand it was originally. The last time I was in a small engine repair shop they had a sign behind the counter that said they would no longer work on any Weedeater brand products.

titsataki
01-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Wasn`t another thread suggesting to get a filtered leaf blower? Also people suggested to have adedicated onefor drying the car. Reason being to avoid the chances of throwing lawn/leaf particles through and onto the paint?

I would be interested in one as well.

Nick

BigAl3
01-27-2006, 06:11 PM
i was just at sears (almost bought the 150 mph / 7.5 amp) and ended up buying the craftsman (12 amp / 220 mph) leaf blower which was on sale for $49.99 (regularly $59.99 and sale ends tomorrow) and with a $15 credit, i paid just under $40. thanks for the replies! :)

here`s the specific one if anyone is interested... http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07174824000&subcat=Blowers :bigups

clnfrk
01-27-2006, 08:47 PM
I use a Stihl BR420c. Very pricey blower ($400+). I mainly got it for lawn work, but it also doubles as my car drier also.