PDA

View Full Version : Leather Cleaner & Condition

Pages : [1] 2

tlak
01-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Sorry for reviving leather thread. I did some search and I was not able to find good suggestion, which would address my dilemma. I am looking for really good leather “protector”, which will stay on for long time and look natural. I guess it can be conditioner as well but I am not sure I need one. All suggestion will be appreciated.

I need leather “protector” for sofa and a loveseat my wife just got. :help:

Thanks a lot

imported_SHICKS
01-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Sorry for reviving leather thread. I did some search and I was not able to find good suggestion, which would address my dilemma. I am looking for really good leather “protector”, which will stay on for long time and look natural. I guess it can be conditioner as well but I am not sure I need one. All suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

z-10 :dance

Beason
01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
z-10 :dance

bought some yesterday to try. Heard only good things about it.

holland_patrick
01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Poorboy`s Leather stuff.

John N.
01-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I would suggest Leather Master. It is probably the most recommended leather care brand for furniture. It is available at a lot of fine furniture stores, or online. They have products for aniline, protected, and nubuck leathers. In my experience, it has always lasted a long time and leaves a very natural look. Hope that helps.

John N.
01-26-2006, 08:28 PM
As a follow up, here`s a little more pertinent info from the Leather Master website highlighting some *protection* qualities:

"Leather Protection Cream is a water based protector for all leather types except Nubuck. This is truly an incredible product because it provides excellent protection against oil-water-alcohol based stains as well as helping to resist the effects of daily soiling.

The Leather Protection Cream places an invisible, breathable barrier between you and your leather."

I hope that you find something that works for you. The Z-10 gets rave reviews for its look and scent. I would personally steer clear of the Poorboy`s Leather Stuff. I have tried it on leather furniture and found it to leave a glossy, coated, slick finish...but other people love it. Everyone`s mileage varies!

David Fermani
01-26-2006, 09:13 PM

Thanks a lot

I really like Blue Coral`s Cream Leather Protectant. I goes on very easy, isn`t greasy, smells like new leather and last a long time. You should of coarse clean prior to using. I apply it by putting an old sock over my hand and working it in.

Alfisti
01-26-2006, 09:27 PM

Thanks a lot

As with automotive leather, the product choice will depend on whether it`s coated or uncoated.

Put a drop of water on the leather and see whether its absorbs it or whether it sits on the surface. That will tell you the type of leather.

Putting a leather conditioner for coated leather on uncoated leather is disastrous.

tlak
01-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks for all replies and comments. Garage you mentioned “aniline, protected, and nubuck leathers” I just have no idea how to identify above, and Alfisti “coated or uncoated.” Can I get some specifics, call me stupid :wall but if I make any mistakes I going to sleep on the sofa.

:hide:

Thanks again

Sherman8r44
01-27-2006, 06:44 AM
"aniline, protected and nubuck" is basically every type of leather, other than suede, that your couch could be made of. Coated leather has a polyvinyl (IIRC) coat over the leather to keep it protected, while uncoated is just pure leather. Do the water drop test as Alfisti suggested...if the drop soaks in, it is uncoated and you need a leather conditioner. If the drop sits on the surface, the leather is coated (or "protected") and you should use a good vinyl protectant/dressing.

corsa_sport
01-27-2006, 11:06 AM
ChemicalGuys leather cleaner and leather conditioner top notch ;)

John N.
01-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all replies and comments. Garage you mentioned “aniline, protected, and nubuck leathers” I just have no idea how to identify above, and Alfisti “coated or uncoated.” Can I get some specifics, call me stupid :wall but if I make any mistakes I going to sleep on the sofa.

:hide:

Thanks again

Aniline leathers are uncoated with a smooth grain finish. Protected leathers are coated with a protective layer on top. (Sometimes you can tell this simply by sense of touch.) Nubuck leathers are aniline-dyed leathers with the finished surface buffed to a slight nap or suede-like appearance, and are generally the most difficult to care for. Along with the water-drop test, you may also want to find an unexposed piece of leather on the furniture and see if a light scratch appears when you lightly drag your fingernail across it. If a scratch appears, then it is most likely uncoated / aniline. If it doesn`t make a mark, it is probably protected / coated. Or, you could probably call the manufacturer and ask them.

shortspark
01-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Aniline leathers are uncoated with a smooth grain finish. Protected leathers are coated with a protective layer on top. (Sometimes you can tell this simply by sense of touch.) Nubuck leathers are aniline-dyed leathers with the finished surface buffed to a slight nap or suede-like appearance, and are generally the most difficult to care for. Along with the water-drop test, you may also want to find an unexposed piece of leather on the furniture and see if a light scratch appears when you lightly drag your fingernail across it. If a scratch appears, then it is most likely uncoated / aniline. If it doesn`t make a mark, it is probably protected / coated. Or, you could probably call the manufacturer and ask them.

I have determined my Honda leather seats are coated. Can someone suggest the best products to use for this specific kind of coated leather? Also, can the coated seat be damaged if you use a leather conditioner anyway, like Lexol, for example? Just thought of something - how about protectant 303 on coated leather?

John N.
01-27-2006, 03:25 PM
I have determined my Honda leather seats are coated. Can someone suggest the best products to use for this specific kind of coated leather? Also, can the coated seat be damaged if you use a leather conditioner anyway, like Lexol, for example? Just thought of something - how about protectant 303 on coated leather?

For coated leather I like to use Leather Master or Sonus Conditioner, or Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Leather Care. Many people also use 303 like you suggested, and are very happy with the results. You may also want to try Z-10 or, if you like a little bit of sheen and slickness, Poorboy`s Leather Stuff. Some people also use Optimum`s interior protectant on coated leather.

Most leather conditioners will work on coated and uncoated leather, but some are pickier than others. As you pointed out, there is some overlap in vinyl / coated leather product compatibility.

Lexol tends to leave a tacky, oily finish on coated leather, so you might want to try something that dries to a natural finish while leaving a barrier of protection, rather than a product like Lexol or Leatherique that needs to be absorbed.

Hope that helps.

tlak
01-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I just did water-drop test, its coated. I had to wipe water off. What I`ve been reading Z10 is little glossy, Poorboy`s Leather stuff should more natural I haven`t found much about Leather Master - Soft Life for Leather - seams a product which LM makes for "polyurethane coated leather types" I wonder if that is the right stuff.