PDA

View Full Version : Rough after using Buffer..

BradUF
01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
The polish stuck to the car and made it rough and the only way I could get it off was to use a clay bar again. The trunk came out perfect but everything else was rough. What am I doing wrong?

cwcad
01-26-2006, 07:47 PM
what polish? was it Klasse? which kind of pad? what kind of machine? how long did you work it? what did you use to take it off or buff it? pictures would help!!

it sounds to me like you put on to much product. Did not work the product long enough to break it down. Did you work in the sun? to be honest you need to give a little more information.

BradUF
01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I used this Step 2 Polish and I used a cheap terry cloth pad.

http://www.meguiars.com/?car-polishes/Deep-Crystal-System-Polish

BradUF
01-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Nothing shows in the pics really. Well I made it look worse trying to fix it so I will post those in about 15 min.

cwcad
01-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Am not really familiar with the product but it would be my firm belief that the product was applied to thick. If the product becomes to hard to remove one can use a quick detail spray to remove any residue that becomes difficult to remove.

With most products of this type a terry applicator would work just fine. have heard that when residue becomes hard to remove another option is to use the same product with an applicator moistened with a QD and apply a thin layer of polish to take off the hardened residue. working in 2 foot by 2 foot area take a applicator and put on a dollup the size of a quarter may be less than that and apply to the surface. as the applicator becomes charged with the product you can put less and less on to do the polishing. this of course if you were applying by hand.

but your thread does say that you are using a buffer. sorry.

A foam polishing pad pad would of course been better with a buffer. was this a pc or a Sears eight inch?

Hope this helps.

wannafbody
01-26-2006, 08:12 PM
a foam pad is a better choice for a buffer

Setec Astronomy
01-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Ah...the joys of a Meguiar`s glaze...

BradUF
01-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I wanted to get a foam but they didnt have any. But now I notice the rough spots are in other spots too. What happens if you dont clay good enough before buffing? The car I am working on is my daily driver which I have not even washed in about a year. I washed it twice, once with dawn and another time with a car soap. Everything was 100% clean. Then I clay bared the hood, first time using a clay bar.

How do I just take everything off of the hood? All the polish and everything with ease?. Could I just wash the hood with dawn? Oh it was a cheap 6 inch for 19.99.

cwcad
01-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I know that you are disapointed at this moment but take heart. we have all been there at some point in time.

What would be good is if you start answering the specific questions. how much product did you put on the with this orbital buffer when you started?

What was your process for the clay bar? did you use a lubricant while claying? DO you have a detail spray? What do you have to use to buff off the polish?

twitch
01-26-2006, 09:00 PM
I used to use the same products some time back with a 9in orbital polisher with a terry bonnet and I think I remember experiencing the same thing.

The product caked up on the bonnet (probably from using too much) and it didn`t lay down flat. I think a clean bonnet solved the problem.

And yes, more detail would be good.

BradUF
01-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Well I did change the bonnet and its working great now. I reclayed everything and everything is right besides the hood still. I am going to strip all that crap off the hood Friday. Its just my daily driver and looks great now. I cant imagine what the Camaro will look like when its done right from the start. Can someone link me to some sponge pads to order cheap? And what pads I need to use to take off polish/wax? I use Terry cloth pads for that right?

Going to post some pics..

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=mma4gp

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=mma4wh

Not bad for only using step 2 and NXT. I still have to clay the other side and hood again. Then polish and wax. Maybe I should clean the interior out. By the way guys, I drove this car every day down a dirt road to my girl friends house or to school. The car is funny looking because the interior is trash and the wheels and windows are dirty.

SVR
01-27-2006, 01:45 AM
That stuff is really only designed for hand use

these consumer grade products are usually very oily and extremely easy to use

Maybe the polish dried up cause you buffed it for too long

I`d remove it and move on to a higher quality product

Louie
01-27-2006, 10:27 AM
The car I am working on is my daily driver which I have not even washed in about a year.

I would try using Meg`s DC Step 1 Cleaner first. Step 2 is a very mild polish with lots of oils, there probably is still some contamination in the paint that the clay did not pick up. Their 3-step system works well, I`ve applied it by hand and with a PC with great results. It sounds similar to the frustration folks have when putting a pure wax over a neglected finish when they should have used a cleaner wax at least.

BradUF
01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Isnt step 1 a cleaner wax? Anyways I am done so will post some pics soon. Everything came out great, just took a really long time because of the whole mess with the pads.

Setec Astronomy
01-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Step 1 is a cleaner, not a wax or cleaner/wax. The DC system is cleaner/glaze/wax, in 1/2/3 order.