PDA

View Full Version : Isopropyl Alcohol in QD`s?

Pages : [1] 2

Spilchy
01-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Well I took advantage of the 50% off sale of AutoMagic products at SparkleAuto.com.

I purchased a gallon of their carnauba fortified QD for like $6 and a couple other items for a total of $17 or so.

What`s cool is the label on the jug has the MSDS sheet and lists the ingredients like you see on a food label. No other manufacturer seems to do this that I know of. You usually have to request it or go hunt it down.

What wasn`t cool was reading that one of the ingredients is isopropyl alcohol. Do QD`s normally contain alcohol? I realize it`s a bulk product manufacturer and maybe a lesser quality QD as a result.

My question is, given that ingredient, will it remove LSP`s or glazes if I use it during a detail? It says it`s great in between washes product. Will I be in essence removing my paste wax with it when I do a final wipe down after I apply the wax?!

I bought it because I only use carnauba products and thought this would be nice to have. After all, I figured for $6 it was worth a shot.

Or, do many other QD`s have it in them and I shouldn`t be too concerned. I looked up the MSDS on Meguiar`s QD`s and they don`t list it.

Any ideas or comments?

MSDS SHEET THAT LISTS ALCOHOL CONTENT: http://www.automagic.biz/MSDS/96-msds.htm

EDIT:

I have included 2 images for you guys to see. I like the label - very informative! Hope you can read.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0293.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0292.jpg

imported_truzoom
01-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Could it be in the QD to aid in evaporating quicker so there`s less streaks?

Setec Astronomy
01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Spilch, some of the Meg`s QD`s have other solvents, Last Touch and the consumer QD have glycol ether, although only a small amount. What was the percentage of IPA in yours?

stilez
01-26-2006, 12:08 PM
IPA use in QD`s is very very common :hide:

truzoom hit it on the head. If they were purely water based, they`d take a long time to evaporate and you`d be wiping the surface over and over. If you were able to get a hold of QD MSDS sheets (various brands), you`d see all but a few use similar/sa,e products like IPA in them, specifically for drying purposes. I think the content is minimal (I`ve never been able to smell IPA in any) and will not really affect the sealant/wax life.

FWIW, the only two I know for sure that don`t use IPA are Z6 and CK Quikshine; they are both truly water-based.

Bill D
01-26-2006, 12:11 PM
I believe truzoom has the right idea. I doubt it`s just like using the ol` 50:50 IPA:water mix to clean up after polishing,removing anything on the finish in one shot. However, I`m not sure if that means we would be totally out of woods with those types of QDs. It could be that the alcohol content, although it can keep the mixture of the QD stable and help reduce streaking, may be slowly compromising the LSP. Especially in the case of carnaubas, it could be removing a tiny a bit at a time, but I`m not certain of that. :nixweiss. May be someone who knows the exact amount of alcohol necessary to have an effect on carnaubas can share.

Spilchy
01-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the input so far guys! I have included a couple images so you get a better idea of how it`s listed in the ingredients. Hope it helps to clarify.

Yeah Sean, I love QS and notice how it take a couple extra swipes to come off given its true water base. (I think I sent you a couple ounces?!)

stilez
01-26-2006, 12:19 PM
(I think I sent you a couple ounces?!)

It`s in my briefcase with a small MF. The bottle you sent is perfect for keeping my laptop, mouse, PDA, cellphone, and other items looking great on the go :). Thanks again, BTW.

3Dog
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Unless things have changed the order in which they are listed is greatest to least....according to that the alcohol is the second largest part of the contents.

stilez
01-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Unless things have changed the order in which they are listed is greatest to least....according to that the alcohol is the second largest part of the contents.

That is what I have obtained about reading ingredients as well. I would be interested to hear the actual percentages. However, that might give away its actual recipe.

TGates
01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
If it contains IPA AND is fortified with carnauba, it seems the effect would not be negative. Hard to say.... I`m no chemist but I don`t see how both can live in the same enviornment. An interesting find, nonetheless.

Spilchy
01-26-2006, 01:19 PM

Well, I found their MSDS sheet on their website and if you scroll down you`ll see the amount of alcohol.

I`m no chemist. Can somone translate and see how much is in there?

Thanks! I think this should clarify.

http://www.automagic.biz/MSDS/96-msds.htm

Setec Astronomy
01-26-2006, 01:24 PM
It says less than 2% by weight, which isn`t much, I would surmise that in combination with the silicones and carnauba, that the effect would be neutral or positive. The IPA could be in there for cleaning and/or could help to carry the wax products, or for surface tension modification.

chml17l
01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
The MSDS posted stated its <2 Wt.% IPA which is roughly = 20,000 ppm. In chemical speak this would be considered "a lot" or a high concentration. This may not be considered a high concentration for a QD type of product, but I`m not a QD chemist. For this particualr QD this means that ~98% of the product is not isopropyl alcohol. A 1:1 IPA/Water solution would be roughly 50 vol. % each alcohol and water. There is a big difference between Wt.% and volume % and there isn`t really enough info here for me to do a more exact calculation.

IMO this would probably not strip your previous wax layer.

DM101
01-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Mother`s is a good QD and it has IPA in it. Don`t know how much....

chml17l
01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
It says less than 2% by weight, which isn`t much, I would surmise that in combination with the silicones and carnauba, that the effect would be neutral or positive.

Mike-- Kind of funny, but the chemist in me sees this as a lot. :laugh: I quite agree with your other assessment "The IPA could be in there for cleaning and/or could help to carry the wax products, or for surface tension modification."