PDA

View Full Version : Reviewed: Specialty Motoring`s Foam-Core WW MF Towel

stilez
01-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Product: Specialty Motoring`s Foam-Core Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel

Price & Price Per Ounce: $12.95 for a 16"x24" towel

Manufacturer Claims: We`ve secured a supply of the newest revolution in drying your vehicle. We are introducing this towel to detailing industry. The towel consists of two 16" x 24" waffle weave microfiber towels bound to a foam core. The resulting towel is super absorbent.

Packaging: The towel came sealed in a plastic bag. That plastic bag was packaged in SMP`s standard packaging materials. I recieved this towel for free to test from Scott. He simply asked for my feelings on it. I chose to post this review on my own, no influence from SMP.

Color/Scent/Viscosity: Light blue towel with royal blue silk edges

How I used (as per instructions): I washed the cars tested on (some protected, some not) with TOL`s Bubble Bath Car Wash, then rinsed using a standard nozzle.

I applied a light mist of Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe to the whole surface (this reduces drying induced marring by creating a slicker surface for the towel to glide over), folded the towel twice, then wiped over the surface from front to back (the way the wind flows over when driving). The towel picked up 95+% of the water on the surface, only lacking where the silk edging touched the surface. As long as you overlapped your passes, you dried successfully.

Overall Thoughts: I like a few key things about this product:

- The foam core allows for more padding when drying. The weight applied by my hand is more evenly distributed over the surface and insures less drying-induced marring

- The towel passed the "CD marr test"

- The foam core allowed the towel to dry very fast by creating a space between both sides of towel. I found this towel to dry about a solid 2x faster than conventional WW towels when hung dry on my wiper (folded away from windshield)

- The smaller size of the towel doesn`t matter as this towel holds the same amount of water as a 20"x40".

Other Notes: Prewash the towel with other MF`s. Wash after each use using a mild detergent. Dry on low heat.

Purchasing: http://specialtymotoring.com/microfiber.htm

Pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/2005/Summer%2005/IMG_0929.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/2005/Summer%2005/IMG_0930.jpg

Questions/Comments, feel free.

Porkanbeans
01-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Looks to be a very promising towel. Good thing I need more WWs! I can`t wait to get my hands on one.

Thanks for the review.

Wasatch
01-25-2006, 01:56 PM
I got one of these (Thanks Kirk), but have not had a chance to use it yet. Thanks for the review. Did not know what to think of it at first, totally different kind of WW. Glad to see it`s a nice one.

imported_Neothin
01-25-2006, 02:00 PM
would it be possible to get a side view of the towel? I`d like to see how thick it is.

I might just have to pass this thread on to a friend of mine. He`s just starting out down the proper car care route and lately he`s been asking me about towels alot. I think i`ll have to show him this thread.

ZaneO
01-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the review!

I tested a foam core WW about a year ago for another company, but it liked to push the water around more than absorb it.

Spilchy
01-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks Sean. It looks like a neat, unique towel. Definately one to check out. I too spray something on the surface while drying to help reduce marring. My new kick is Mothers FX.

Scott has some new MF washing items that look real interesting too. Unfortunately I can only buy so many items.

cwcad
01-25-2006, 06:05 PM
I am glad that you reviewed this towel Sean. have been using the towel. It is fast becoming one of my personal favorites. Just ordered two more from Scott.

Your Welcome, John!!

stilez
01-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Neothin: It is about the same thickness of a regular WW MF folded over. Think of it like a sandwich of WW MF, then thin foam, then WW MF. Is this helping :D?

imported_Neothin
01-25-2006, 09:31 PM
so just over double thick... Thanks Sean.

wytstang
01-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Cool thanks for the review

Alfisti
01-26-2006, 02:20 AM
Nice review and promising product.

Sounds a bit like the new Mothers WW.