PDA

View Full Version : California duster feedback

RAG
01-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Every once in while customers ask me about using a California Duster to keep their vehicles looking clean longer. Though I do not use one myself, I usually tell them they could use it only when the vehicle has a very light dust film (like the day after washing), but not to use it if their cars are any dirtier than that. Of course I tell them that it might lightly scratch their surface, but I`m trying to be practical for them. If they have a dark car, I shy them away from their use completely, but maybe I`m off base here?

BobD
01-25-2006, 08:15 AM
I used one all of the time on my black car without on single problem. I would use it a lot if I washed my car and then had to drive a long ways to a car meet and it had a bunch of road dust on it already.

Arved
01-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I agree with Danase. Especially good at getting pollen off the car.

Dust the car, then if you notice anything that needs attention, you can break out the quick detailer and MF towel.

HTH,

White95Max
01-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I use one on my car (OXO duster) every day in the summertime. As long as it`s just a light dusting, I have no problems with it. It`s very nice to have around and does a great job.

WSUcommuter
01-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Ditto.

:2thumbs:

shortspark
01-25-2006, 12:03 PM
I agree. I think it is a very good product as long as all you are doing is dusting. I use it on both my golf cart and truck about every other day. They make a mini version for the interior and also a jumbo model for the big vehicles.

imported_Neothin
01-25-2006, 01:48 PM
I have one laying around in my garage, but I hardly use it anymore. I started noticing some fine micromarring from it, and that stopped me from using it any longer.

Arved
01-25-2006, 02:46 PM
I have one laying around in my garage, but I hardly use it anymore. I started noticing some fine micromarring from it, and that stopped me from using it any longer.

Really? I figure at worse, entrapped dirt may mar the wax or other protectant on the paint, but not the clearcoat. I don`t use any pressure! I figure the wash sponge has more chance of marring than the duster, even with all the soap lubricating it, because I definately have to use pressure with the wash sponge (I use a TW chenile sponge).

imported_Neothin
01-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I dunno lol. I just know that my washing technique is pretty good, and i have a good idea of about how much marring I induce over a period of time, and when using the duster, I far surpassed that.

David Fermani
01-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Same here. Anytime you touch a car with dust on it, it`s microscratching it!! I laugh every time I go to car shows and see somone using one of those things. It`s almost as bad as washing your car, driving it, and then wiping all the water spots/dust off.

Dirt on paint + touching = scratching.

Accumulator
01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I caused some marring with mine too and believe me, I was being as careful/gentle as a person could be. If you move abrasive stuff across a surface...

But OTOH, a while back an Autopian tested it for marring on the black b/c wing of his Porsche. No marring at all and he was using good illumination when he inspected. All depends on the circumstances of each situation. So to paraphase Dirty Harry, "do you feel lucky?"

cgc2
01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
LOL..."well do you punk ? "

imported_Neothin
01-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Porsche`s also have somewhat harder paint than my toyota has... I also think LSP selection plays a big role in this. The slicker the LSP the less chance of marring from a CCD.

cwcad
01-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I use my duster most everyday. I know that I instill marring when used on heavy dust. The one thing that I try to do now is to dust when the surface of the paint is cool. I seems like the cooler the surface the better it works. The better it works.... the less the marring.