PDA

View Full Version : Pics Of New Scratches Found On Truck!!!

Josh1
01-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I was washing my truck for the first time since I just bought it and found some disturbing scratches on my truck. I don`t have a clue what to do now because I really don`t have the money to repaint the roof. I must not of seen them because the truck was so dirty from all the rain. It sucks because now all the swirls in the paint stick out big time since its nice and clean. I can`t wait till the Optimum polish comes in. I have some pics and was wondering what I shoud do? Will the Optimum get rid of most of them and will it need touch up paint? How can I come out of this without it looking really noticeable? Thanks

imported_truzoom
01-24-2006, 11:38 PM
I would first see if you can polish them out. That looks like a Lightning from 3rd brake light and the rain channels on the roof...

If you do need to touch them up, I wouldn`t worry too much because with them being on the roof, you can take your time to make them look good.

Josh1
01-24-2006, 11:45 PM
So even if some you can fill with your fingernail, there is a chance they could smooth out? What do I need to do to get them away? Want to try to get them done this weekend while I have time off. THanks

Josh1
01-25-2006, 12:36 AM
I just read up on wetsanding and will try this I guess. Any product suggestions I should use? THanks

getright
01-25-2006, 01:12 AM
4* has an interesting product for wet sanding, i forget what it`s called but it is specifically for wetsanding a vehicle. Might be worth a try but of course you would probably need to order it tomorrow to get it in time for the weekend. If you don`t want to use the 4* product make sure to use plenty of soapy water when wet sanding.

scottabir
01-25-2006, 03:57 AM
Do you have a machine for polishing the sanding marks?

Josh1
01-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Yea, I have a PC 7224. What pads would I need? Will SSR3 take them out?

Josh1
01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Going to buy some 3m Wetsanding paper, 2000grit and get a sanding block also. I am going to try to fix it like the guy did on the learn section of autopia. I am going to get the touch up paint from the dealer. It should match because the paint does not look faded, just swirled up alot.

imported_Neothin
01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
ssr3, then follow up with either 2 or 1

96snake
01-26-2006, 12:43 AM
I would find a practice panel or beater to practice wetsanding on.

Lorne

imported_chpsk8
01-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Try polishing first before you hit it with sandpaper! If you`ve never wet sanded I wouldnt` suggest doing it for the first time on those scratches. With that bend in the roof the paint will probably be pretty thin. One swipe too much and you`ll be through. Hit it a couple tiems with polish, then a glaze on top of that. I bet you minimize them enough so you dont` see them anymore. Meanwhile head for the salvage yard and get a fender to practice on. Wetsanding is tricky. It takes skill and practice, and is never as easy as it looks.