View Full Version : Help fix haze on my Camaro SS

Pages : [1] 2

BradUF
01-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Looks great here...

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1107993/0/nouser_1107/T1_-1_1107993.jpg

and here too...

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1107998/0/nouser_1107/T1_-1_1107998.jpg

But up close in the right light it has this haze.

http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1108259

I think I trapped something under the wax. I was stupid and did not clay bar and the car is 6 years old. So what do I need to do to fix this?

BradUF
01-24-2006, 07:29 PM
http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1108025

gmblack3
01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
pics are too small.

imported_GregCavi
01-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Pics didnt work for me, but if it is indeed haze I have two words for ya:

Menzerna Final Polish II, acutally thats like 4 words.. FInal polish II will eliminate any haze on your paint, give it a shot!

Greg

imported_chpsk8
01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Yup, pics too small to see anything. You`ll need to polish progressively from coase to fine to work out the hazing. Use the finest compound first. IF that doean`t work, then try something coarser. Do a small spot as a test. As Greg posted, Final Polish might be a great spot to start.

lbls1
01-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Can`t see exactly, but the last pic looks like a spray residue. Have you polished it yet? If not, then that is the very first thing that I would do. Look into getting a random orbital or "pc", and (redundant if you have them, but..) a set of pads that will include a cutting, polishing and buffing pad, and research the polishes (or series) of polishes that you will need to work on it.

The haze and the overspray should come out with some dilligent application of a moderately abrasive (but always clearcoat safe) polish.

BradUF
01-24-2006, 09:01 PM
I really dont want to use a buffer because I am afaird of messing up my car. Let me get a larger pic up for the haze.

http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1108259

I just know it was not there before, its recent so it cant be dmg from years and years. I think I sealed in polish haze or something.

imported_Neothin
01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
dont be afraid of the PC, unless you bash the machine against the paint and then chuck it thru the windshield, it`s not going to hurt your car.

BradUF
01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Do you think I need one to get rid of this? Do you think if I strip off the wax with dawn and then clay bar and then put NXT wax on by hand it would get rid of this. Also a problem I notice is that things stick to may car really easy and things smear really easy. Did I do something wrong with the wax. I used Meguris 3 step process when I did this car.

BradUF
01-24-2006, 09:50 PM
I have been reading and I think the Carnabuna wax I used some how smeared. Thats one a minus to this wax right?

lbls1
01-24-2006, 10:22 PM
A buffer (once you learn how to use it) will be the best thing for your paint. Believe me, because I was once skeptical about using a buffer. If your paint has issues (common issues like swirls, scuffs, etc) then IMO a PC or Orbital will be a must.

Your results with your wax or synthetic will improve tremendously when the paint is "buffed" -aggressively polished to remove all old lsp`s, swirls, dirt and residue.

Look at the many fine examples posted on the board, and I am sure you will be convinced. Good luck.

BradUF
01-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Alright, I guess I will give it a try. Anyone have a link to a good tutorial that gives me all the info on what I need. I cant spend to much money on this, no more then 85 bucks if that is possible.

Arved
01-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, the cheapest PC I`ve found is at Lowe`s Home Improvement, right around $100. That doesn`t include any pads or polishes, though, so that option is out - way beyond your budget.

There are a couple of cheap orbital polishers out there. I have one from Turtlewax I bought for about $25 that uses 6" bonnets. One of those, a couple MF bonnets, and Meg`s DACP would be a good start after stripping everything off with Dawn (original, not any of the scented or anti-bacterial versions) and a good claybar. Most here will poo-poo these cheap orbitals, but for the price paid, they`re amazingly competent. Is a PC better? Yes. You can vary the speed, and change the pads you use. Is a PC 4x better than these cheapo orbitals? I`m not so sure! But, with your budget, your choice is going to be between one of these cheapos, and doing it by hand. I`d go with the cheapo orbital. Polishing out haze by hand is not an easy task.

I`ve had Mothers and Zaino`s claybars. The Zaino was more durable (held up over many more uses), but the Mothers was otherwise just fine. If you`re new to claybars, you`ll probably do something stupid like drop the clay and have to throw it out long before the clay has become unusable. I personally don`t like using it with QD. I like lots of soapy, suddsie water to keep the clay from sticking to the paint. I think Zaino`s instructions suggest this as an alternative to using thier QD with the claybar.

There are other good clay bars out there. Once I`ve exhausted my Zaino clay bars (I just retired one, and have another new one ready to go), I may try the Megs clay.

I haven`t experienced hazing or smearing with the carnuba waxes I`ve tried (Megs #26 yellow wax in paste form, and Collinite 476S).

Good luck!

BradUF
01-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone. For clay I am going to go with Clay Magic, if I can find it in town.

scottabir
01-27-2006, 05:44 AM
pepboys carries claymagic, and what the heck are those ripples in the paint? looks like planet mars` landscape :)