PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my new car or help me , "pros"!

Pages : [1] 2

bigguy2000
01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
OK I`ve got a new black G35 Coupe. I`m very pleased with the fit ,finish and paint job. I took the car from the dealer UWASHED and did the 1st wash myself. I followed this with 2 coats of OCW applie 24 hours apart.. Wow, what a great product ........ can anything this easy really be good? Well for me (a noob in the detailing field)I am pretty satisfied. Car looks great, shines like crazy and produces "beading" that is extreme.

However, after reding how all the pros here have gone to so much more work and effort than the Easy Route I`ve taken have I left anything on the table so to speak? In other words would my "G" get any shinier by adding a layer of ANYTHING over the top of te OCW? Also, if anyone is kind enough to respond will a PC "buff" my OCW to a higher shine than I am getting by hand and would you please reccommend a specific pad to do so ...... I have the PC, just not sure what pad to buy for above need so jut removing the OCW by hand for now. Thank you in advance for any and all help on this!

Accumulator
01-24-2006, 09:09 AM
I haven`t used the OCW, but it sounds like you got great results with it. I wouldn`t go looking for a downside if I were you, I`d just enjoy it and see how long it lasts and how it ages.

If you just *must* do something (know how it is ;) ) you could try topping it with Souveran. That`s sorta the "standard answer" to what to use as a topper on black.

What I`d do is concentrate on wash technique so you don`t end up marring the finish ;)

imported_Neothin
01-24-2006, 02:19 PM
OCW is a nifty product. If the finish starts to deteriorate looks-wise, it`s as easy as another 10 minute application to get it back to "freshly-waxed" status. I would personally glaze, top with a good carnauba, and then use OCW as a maitenance item though. I know others use it as a stand alone LSP, but I dont prefer to use it in that way.

As accumulator said though, a foam gun will go a long way in keeping that G looking great.

bigguy2000
01-24-2006, 07:39 PM
OCW is a nifty product. If the finish starts to deteriorate looks-wise, it`s as easy as another 10 minute application to get it back to "freshly-waxed" status. I would personally glaze, top with a good carnauba, and then use OCW as a maitenance item though. I know others use it as a stand alone LSP, but I dont prefer to use it in that way.

As accumulator said though, a foam gun will go a long way in keeping that G looking great.

"Foam Gun" what is it and how does it work?

Also, still hoping for answer regarding whether I can enhance OCW shine by buffing with the PC I bought but haven`t tried. Where should I get the proper pad to buff with,too ! Thanks.

imported_Neothin
01-24-2006, 09:14 PM
your not going to notice a difference. just use a towel like everyone else does.

foam gun.... ummm a hose attachment that precisely adds a variable amount of wash soap solution into the water stream and then via a long nozzle aeriates the mixture to produce mounds of frothy foam. Great for providing unmatched amounts of lubrication to wash mitts, boar`s hair brushes, etc etc. Dramatically reduces the amount of washing induced swirls. there are LOTS of threads on this, and im sure accumulator will swing by this thread sometime and give his insight on the tool.

Accumulator
01-25-2006, 10:48 AM
foam gun.... ummm a hose attachment that ...[when used properly]..Dramatically reduces the amount of washing induced swirls. there are LOTS of threads on this, and im sure accumulator will swing by this thread sometime and give his insight on the tool.

Ah...the only insight I`ll offer is a "go search" :p Just kidding...

But actually Neothin pretty well covered what it does and there really are a lot of threads on how to use it. The idea is to use it to effect a "dislodge and flush" approach to washing, where you`re not rubbing the dirt across/into the paint and merely hoping that it migrates away from the paint and up into the mitt/brush.

As for improving by buffing, I dunno...I suppose the ultimate would be to apply something like Souveran using a spit-shine method and then buff it off using the PC and a CBT-material bonnet. But, much as I like to use the PC/Cyclo for this sort of thing, with LSPs I don`t think the machines make for a huge difference over doing it by hand.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
All these replies and no one hit the nail on the head? Your not going to get the best results with just a wax. You really need to add a polish step to your regimen. Thats where paint brightens, deepens, and gives it the "wow" factor. Waxes or sealants help to preserve that. And the PC is a great tool to accomplish this.....As for pads, theres many to use, maybe a search would be beneficial.....

Accumulator
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Heh heh, good point. I wasn`t gonna tell a guy to take a polish to his freshly-waxed new car ;) but yeah, when something looks less-than-optimal it`s almost always a matter of pre-LSP prep.

bigguy2000
01-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks to all. Am clear on part that I SHOULD have polised 1st THEN waxed? That would improve my depth of shine or `wet look`?

If so what do I do now , remove the wax and start over with a polish?

If so , what polish is reccommended? Should I use the PC and finally I want to stick with the Optimum Wax `cause it`s soooooo easy!

Sorry to be so much trouble and I`ll get ou of here after this one....... Thanks to all!

imported_Neothin
01-25-2006, 02:27 PM
i`d pick up something like ssr1, ocp, or fpII. These are all light abrasiveness polishes that can deal with minor defects; the kinds of defects that can occur on maintained vehicles.

I`d let your current application of OCW to die off, then give the car a complete light polishing to get everything perfect, and then use OCW. If you want, you could even go so far as picking up a glaze product like RMG. Used after polishing and before waxing, RMG will enhance the "wet look" that your going after.

Accumulator
01-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah, it`s sorta Autopian Heresy to say this, but I`d never recommend that somebody undo a fresh wax job (let alone one that he described as looking great) and start over. Life is short and it`ll need redone soon enough anyhow.

bigguy2000
01-25-2006, 09:53 PM
i`d pick up something like ssr1, ocp, or fpII. These are all light abrasiveness polishes that can deal with minor defects; the kinds of defects that can occur on maintained vehicles.

I`d let your current application of OCW to die off, then give the car a complete light polishing to get everything perfect, and then use OCW. If you want, you could even go so far as picking up a glaze product like RMG. Used after polishing and before waxing, RMG will enhance the "wet look" that your going after.

"RMG" Checked secret decoder and couldn`t find. What is it,please? Thanks.

imported_Neothin
01-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Clearkote`s Red Moose Machine Glaze

a.k.a. Patrick
01-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Accum, if your not happy with the results, why not try something else? I think as Autopians, we`re all guilty of " a little experimenting" when its not really necessary............. ;)

TGates
01-26-2006, 07:37 AM
As a previous owner of a black car (actually it happened to be a 2003.5 G35 Coupe in Black Obsidian) let me recommend the following to you. Depending on your enviornment, dust accumulation may be quite bothersome to you on that black car especially after a fresh wax application. A good QD (quick detail spray) like Clearkote Quik Shine, Adam`s Detail Spray, Finish Kare #425 (I highly recommend this one on black as it has great anti-static properties) will be a life saver and keep you from having to wash as often. Bear in mind that you should ONLY use a qd spray for very light dust accumulation, any real build up should of course be washed off traditionally.

Like Accumulator suggested, a good wash regiment will help you preserve the finish. Quality sheepskin wash mitts, waffle weave drying towels, and plush microfiber towels will be a huge asset.

Also, like it has already been said, a light polish will help you greatly, and if you haven`t, highly consider claying the car. It really makes a difference.

A light polish (the ones suggested are fine), a glaze (RMG and Vanilla Moose are great) and your OCW will be great. There are lots of other options from paste and liquid carnaubas to sealants which can always be topped with a carnauba. It`s just a matter of finding something you like and going with it! I personally prefer to use a traditional LSP and use the OCW as a booster wax.