PDA

View Full Version : How good is Honda`s paint?

Pages : [1] 2

eyeguy
01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey guys I just got an `06 Civic EX in Black. Just wanted to know what you guys thought of their paint. Is their paint usually softer than most or is it so hard that even the smallest stones will chip the crap out of it?

BTW, I just saw pics of a G35 coupe done by Scottwax ( sweet car and excellent detail job). Is this something I can achieve with a PC and the same polishes or do I need to get a car with a better paint job? I`ve had excellent results on my wife`s Mazda6 in silver, but black is whole new ballgame to me. No room for error.

imported_Neothin
01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
honda paint is notoriously soft. Your going to have to take extra care to not screw it up, especially on black. a foam gun plus a well thought out (aka meticulous) wash technique is a requirement. high quality towels are also going to be needed as the cheaper ones will scratch the softer paint. Don`t let me scare you though, if you take care of it, it will look awesome! I`d recommend that you invest in a glaze as this will help extend the time between polishes.

eyeguy
01-23-2006, 08:20 PM
I`ve got mostly Sonus supplies from PC pads to towels, Klasse twins, clay, P21S. And I`m not afraid to buy whatever else I need to do it right, so whatever`s good I`ll buy it. I`m happy if I get 3-4 months before I have to do it all over again too. To be honest though, to get mine to look like that G35 Scottwax did, I`ll do it once a month. The only thing I don`t think I want to try is a rotary. Other than that, I`ll give anything a shot once. Thanks guys!!

imported_Neothin
01-23-2006, 08:47 PM
RMG + Natty`s Blue will look amazing on a black car. wetness will be outstanding. It will only last about a month though (durability depends on weather and enviromental conditions).

eyeguy
01-23-2006, 08:51 PM
It`s time to put in another order, so I`ll probably order several different things. The wife`s gonna love that :bolt

imported_Neothin
01-23-2006, 08:57 PM
foam gun- $70

polishes, pads, glazes, and waxes- $120

Having a jawdropping paint job- priceless

even spending thousands of dollars on supplies like some of us have, it really is worth it when you get complients, stares, and just that personal satisfaction that your ride looks better than most.

Before you order, run a few searches and see if anything else interests you. My big problem is that I rush into orders and then find out a few days later that I would`ve liked to try something else but then faced with having to pay shippin charges again.

EBPcivicsi
01-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Let me just tell you this, you are about to embark upon a neverending pursuit of a swirl-free finish. If you touch the paint wrong, it will mar--that`s how soft it is.

Look at it this way, if you can keep this car "relatively" swirl-free, everything else is cake. :)

BTW, never look at this paint under magnification, never look at it under incadecent (sp) light, and when you are down and out, paste waxes are your friend. :D

SpoiledMan
01-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda paint is the best in the world..........as long as you don`t look at it wrong!:D

getright
01-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I`ve got a nbp acura, so it`s honda paint. I just do as most and try to get most of the swirls out. Even if you do get all the swirls out than you still need keep `em out. I usually do ssr2.5/1 for the polishing(although i`m going to try optimum and menzerna in spring, kaio, ksgx2, natty`s blue x2 and hope for the best. A pc is a must, although i`m like you and don`t want to use a rotary yet, even though the rotary will give you better results. If money is no object then premium auto care has a special of 2 for 100 on souveran which i think i might jump on to baby my acura when she gets out of winter storage.

zippymbr
01-24-2006, 12:53 PM
One good thind is that scratches can be wet sanded and polished out with great results. I sure would not want to buy a black one.

eyeguy
01-24-2006, 02:35 PM
I`ve got a PC, so I`m good to go with that and I`ve got Klasse twins and P21S which work great on silver, so I`ll be getting some others for black and the foam gun. I kinda wanted the challenge of black, but I think I may have jumped the gun with the Honda paint. Maybe I got lucky and Honda changed their process in `06. Yeah right!! As far as keeping it clean, I`ve been as gentle as possible but I think I`ll just have to live with the fact that it`s gonna take alot more work that the 6.

Oh yeah it`s gonna be worth it!

imported_Neothin
01-24-2006, 02:45 PM
I`d also like to add that your never going to want to QD or use a CCD on the car except right after washing. I induced noticable swirls on a black 05 civic just by QDing it a day after washing it.

jchetty
01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I`ve got a nbp acura, so it`s honda paint. I just do as most and try to get most of the swirls out. Even if you do get all the swirls out than you still need keep `em out. I usually do ssr2.5/1 for the polishing(although i`m going to try optimum and menzerna in spring, kaio, ksgx2, natty`s blue x2 and hope for the best. A pc is a must, although i`m like you and don`t want to use a rotary yet, even though the rotary will give you better results. If money is no object then premium auto care has a special of 2 for 100 on souveran which i think i might jump on to baby my acura when she gets out of winter storage.

depending on what year ur acura is, the new ones use a new paint technology. you can find more info on acura.com..ne ways, i have an 05 civic, get a clear bra if you can. I wish i did :furious: i mean i got a colgan bra for long trips, summer trips, and highways but i live in jersey and highways are everywhere, i try my best to take extra time and take back roads. other than, honda paints swirl bad. black does swirl rather easy imo, my dad has an 00 accord and my bro had an 01 civic both black...the other day i saw a swirled up white civic 04..it was bad

eyeguy
01-24-2006, 02:59 PM
I know a lot of folks use QD, but I just won`t risk it on any car I own. Not because I don`t like them, I get too much dust from the tour bus business up the street. They come through so fast it just throws dust everywhere. I mostly get to wax the car and relish in the beauty for about two hours before a bus comes through and screws it all up. Hmm, seems they get a kick out of it. Kind of like when you get done washing it and a bird craps on it. Even if it only looks perfect for a couple of hours, it`s still worth the effort. I think I need a garage!

getright
01-24-2006, 10:02 PM
It`s a 2003 cls so i don`t know if they`ve changed their paint process by then but either way i know that it is near impossible to keep marr free. I would agree that qd`ing is not a good idea for the paint as gentle as it is. Good luck.