PDA

View Full Version : Crazing problem

danwatt
01-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Always bothered me that the roof of my car seems kind of dull. Well, I looked at it really closely last night and was shocked to see this:

http://dano.pocketrubbish.com/images/photos/pcdetail/crazing.jpg

After some research on this board, it turns out that the term for this is crazing. No idea what could`ve caused it though. I wetsanded the whole car about six months ago, and none of this was present. It`s single stage paint, so maybe it could be the effects of being out in the sun all the time?

I`m going to attempt to wetsand it some more to see if I can level it a bit. We`ll see what happens.

White95Max
01-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Well that looks like a less severe case of what I had to deal with on the `87 Jag last summer. In this case, the "crazing" was all the way through the paint, like small cracks. So all I could do was polish the area and use GEPC on it, hoping to fill the cracks in. It worked very well. At your stage, you may be able to fix the situation. But I have no idea what causes it.

Setec Astronomy
01-23-2006, 11:54 AM
That looks to me like sanding scratches, not crazing.

imported_Neothin
01-23-2006, 12:02 PM
they dont look like they`re going in any single direction though (like what forms when wetsanding). I think it`s crazing myself. Maybe try filling them with glazes and hoping for the best?

BobD
01-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, those are for sure not sanding marks unless the guy doing the sanding had a bad seizure or something. ;) It looks like your typical clear coat failure you see on Dodges and Eagle from the early 90`s.

White95Max
01-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah several of them have that weird 3-pointed star shape to them. Maybe it`s just a signature Mercedes-Benz paintjob... ;)