PDA

View Full Version : Chenille or Sheepskin???

Diesel917
01-22-2006, 07:39 PM
I have been using a Turtle Wax Sheepskin Mitt for the past 2 or 3 washes and it seems like there is a large amount of grit stuck within the mitt`s fibers... Is there anything that I can do about this??? I`ve now washed it 3x today alone but no luck whatsoever.

Is it just that the mitt is garbage?

I was thinking about the Chenille sponge that Meguiar`s puts out... Seems like the response is that it is a safe way to wash a car, but may leave some lint behind. Can chenille damage my clearcoat? Thanks.

Black240SX
01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
That`s odd. The sheepskin mitts I`ve used all released dirt easily.

White95Max
01-22-2006, 07:50 PM
How did you wash it? If you threw it in the washing machine, you can`t expect much real agitation to result from that. You need to vigorously wash it by hand if you`ve got stubborn grit in the fibers. The mere action of flipping it around and pushing it by the washing machine will not be enough.

I assume that some chenille is better quality than another. I used a chenille-wrapped sponge for a time to wash my Maxima, and I switched to a sheepskin from Excel. I much prefer the sheepskin over the chenille. Less lint, and it`s much softer as well.

I agree with 240...both of my sheepskin mitts release dirt pretty easily. So maybe it`s the TW mitt itself that is the problem.

SilverLexus
01-22-2006, 08:00 PM
I use only sheepskin from Excel Detail. It has never scratched my car. I`ve never gotten chenille to work as well. The Cobra Bone is decent though for microfiber...

imported_Neothin
01-22-2006, 08:34 PM
My eurow mitts don`t have any issues releasing dirt via agitation in the rinse bucket. $4.96 apiece at wally world :woot:

wytstang
01-22-2006, 08:52 PM
+1 for excel`s sheepskin mitts high quality/great vendor

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Are you sure that the Turtle Wax mitt is genuine sheepskin? Or is it one of those imitation synthetic ones...those are terrible for holding onto stuff.

pontman43
01-22-2006, 09:54 PM
I have never had problems with my sheep shin mitts, but if you go Megs chenile sponge, then it will release everything including the material itself and it will fall apart on you quick. ;)

TGates
01-23-2006, 07:30 AM
I use the Eurow`s from wal-mart as well and have had good luck with them. I`ve got four and they are all aging well and release all particles during wash. I just toss them in the washing machine with MF detergent and let them air dry. It has worked well for me.

Gen2
01-23-2006, 08:16 AM
I have been using a genuine sheepskin mitt from Turtle Wax for quite some time and I do not face the problem as you mentioned. But heard from our local distributor they are no longer bringing in the genuine sheepskin wash mitt from Turtle Wax anymore but replaced by the synthetic ones :( .

gmblack3
01-23-2006, 08:29 AM
I have a few of the Ultra Heavy sheepskin mitts from Excel detail. They are very nice and its always a plesent experience dealing with Patrick.

96snake
01-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Vroom brand sheepskin from Target here.

Lorne

Accumulator
01-23-2006, 11:48 AM
This is a good example of why it`s good to have mutliple mitts. If you just *can`t* get one clean, use it for things that aren`t as fragile as normal paint.

FWIW, I too have zero trouble getting my sheepskin mitts clean. Chenille and MF are different, sometimes they can *really* hold onto stuff.

MattZ28
01-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I never have trouble rinsing my sheepskin mitts. Microfiber is a ***** though.

Louie
01-23-2006, 07:10 PM
I got a couple of the Turtle Wax Sheepskin mitts over the holidays from Big Lots for $3 each, only used one of them so far, but amazed how quickly it releases dirt. Not going back to chenille mits as they seem to hold dirt longer.