PDA

View Full Version : Advice for black Silverado

Sarcazmo
01-22-2006, 07:04 PM
:help: So my friend has a `99 black silverado in pretty awful condition. Scratches from offroading, swirls, water spots, chips, etc. Sorry, no pics at the moment.

Both of us know there is no way I can get the car looking perfect, but I think I can make it look better than it does now with the products I have. I`m hoping not to buy anything new if I don`t have to.

This is the process I was going to use.

Wash (Shining Monkey Wash, I really like this stuff)

Clay

Wash

SSR 2.5 via Excel Yellow pad

Megs #80 via Megs polishing pad (hoping to maybe fill/reduce swirls with this even further)

RMG via White Sonus pad

Megs #21 via Megs finishing pad

Possibly top with Natty`s Blue, depends how #21 looks/how tired I am :D

Does that sound like a decent plan? Anything you would do differently? Help me detailing gurus! :help:

cwcad
01-22-2006, 07:31 PM
It looks like a good plan of attack. There could be a lot of products suggested but what you have for a plan should produce good results using the proper techniques in your detail.

Make sure to post pictures of the before and after when you do the detail. Look forward to your post.

Sarcazmo
01-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Will do. I`m actually waiting on the 2.5 and 21 to get here. I`m hoping to tackle this beast Thursday or Saturday.

imported_Neothin
01-22-2006, 08:56 PM
that looks like it will work out fine. 2.5 will remove a good deal of the defects and then following up with #80 and RMG will fill in most of the remaining defects. Just make sure to tell your friend that after a while some of the defects will come back.

Sarcazmo
01-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I think he`s fine with that. However, in the future, if he wants me to polish it again, what would you recommend? Hit it again with 2.5 followed by something else? Although I think the filler reoute is the way to go on this particular vehicle.

3Dog
01-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I take it you dont have a rotary. ?

Some PowerGlos or Hyper would be a nice start.

Sarcazmo
01-22-2006, 10:43 PM
No rotary, just a PC and a willingness to work. I know it can`t work miracles, but I`m sure it will be an improvement.

imported_Denzil
01-22-2006, 10:52 PM
If it`s really that bad, I think you could skip the claying process since it would just really gunk up your clay bar. It`d be a total waste but then it would require more polishing since it`ll gunk up your pads.

imported_Neothin
01-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Just go to autozone or something and pick up a claymagic bar if your that concerned.