PDA

View Full Version : Microscratches on Red Porsche

Paul in NJ
01-22-2006, 04:00 PM
I tried searching through the archives with no luck so I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed.

I recently purchased a red 997 with about 1,300miles--extremely clean paint, no chips or damage or obvious scratches--except when you look at the reflection of a lightbulb in the garage or the sun and then you can see tiny scratches surround the image of the bulb or sun-my guess is left for cotton drying towels by the previous owner.

Can some recommend the best way to deal with them, by hand if possible. I usually use S100 Paint Cleaner and Wax on my cars and didn`t know if anybody had a better recommendation.

Thanks in advance! Paul

Accumulator
01-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Welcome to Autopia!

I don`t know if your Porsche is one with hard or soft paint, they seem to run the gamut. There are some mildly abrasive products that work OK by hand, but expect a real workout and set plenty of time aside for the job.

I`d try 1Z`s Paint Polish or Meguiar`s #80 (which is milder). I follow the Paint Polish with their Metalic PolishWax before topping with a Last Step Product (LSP, "wax" like your P21s), but I just apply the LSP right after the Meg`s #80.

There are many other choices but those would be my first picks.

BTW, I bet the wash technique was just as responsible for the marring as the drying with cotton towels ;)

ceiol
01-22-2006, 06:57 PM
You`re gonna need to polish out those scratches. You`ve got many choices here, Menzerna FPII/106FF/po85RD and Optimum OCP would be at the top of my list