PDA

View Full Version : keeping the car looking sharp without cutting

SVR
01-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Guys, I fully machine buffed and sealed my car last year and decided after reading david b`s article on his car care site to try and keep the clearcoat clarity as best as possible and live with some minor swirling and scratches

I am doing this and am using four star ultimate paint cleanser w/ edge green, dinitrol 7020 light polish w/ edge blue, clearkote vanilla , red and yellow mooses w/ edge blue and white and sometimes sonus sfx 3 with sonus sfx blue

On feb 12 my mate and I will be spending all of the day prepping our cars for the upcoming ford performance vehicles weekend in which nearly 400 cars will be on display and many more in the car parks

My bonnet is now in need of some swirl removal as it`s gotten to the level I think that is not good enough and wondering which polishes would be ok for use to remove most of them without losing too much clarity and this goes for the entire car over time

Would Menzerna FP II be ok on it

I am keeping this car for life if all goes to plan and never want to repaint

Overall it`s awesome for a car of it`s age

I have alot of the autopian polishes so suggest any brand you like

Prima is next on my buy list

There are a few cars I see at work which have absolutely no marks but extremely fine swirls and no depth

I would rather live with some marks and swirls than keep hand or machine buffing as clearcoat clarity and depth mean more to me than wet look shine

What`s your opinion and tips

Got the full range of sonus das pads which I do use with my rotary and seems ok and edge and 3M

Alfisti
01-22-2006, 06:08 AM
If you want to polish more frequently and preserve the c/c, I`d use a PC or equivalent before considering a rotary. I`d keep the rotary for more serious defect removal and use the PC for general maintainance, like light swirls.

Whichever way you go, FPII is lightly abrasive - removes light defects and preserves your c/c. I`d go with that.

cwcad
01-22-2006, 07:32 AM
The menzerna product that you mentioned will do nice job on light swirls. it is the autopian way to use the least abrassive product to get the job done. there will come to a point that the seirls will not be corrected with FPll. After exhuasting all pads and speeds with the PC you will eventually go to the more aggressive IP to get what you need done. Time and experience will help you decide when that time will come.

I have had just a few experiences with the product Swirl. I believe it to be a very good paint cleaner. It also has good corrective abilities. So far I had one amazing result that could not be duplicated. Used again in a different area and the results were good but not as amazing as I first thought. Never the less it has reduced holograms and marring much better than any paint cleaner that I have used.

SVR
01-23-2006, 03:15 AM
Well a rotary with clearkote and light pads , there should be no drama`s

Cheers alfisti, you free during feb 24-27, I`ll be over there for FPV weekend