PDA

View Full Version : skate-by marker on my new miata

zenbear
01-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Greetings, all -- from a newbie.

I have a lovely 2001 silver Miata that I bought with 24K miles about 6 months ago. It`s the perfect northern california car!! However, some ingrate hoodlum decided to decorate it when I parked it on the street for about 2 hours a couple of days ago. They seem to have come by on skates or a skate board, and applied a variable line about 3/8 inch thick along the entire passenger side of the car in a nice medium blue. I can`t tell if it was a marker or paint brush and in places I can actually feel the line. I am hesitant to just jump right in and take it off, although I have some ideas of how to go about it. I`ve done research online and have already read a number of related pieces that recommend: 3M hand glaze, WD40, goo gone, rubbing alcohol, a number of Meguiar`s products, etc. but it seemed to make sense to go to the source, as it were to get something more than anecdotal guidance. I`d appreciate any and all advice you knowledgeable folks might have to offer.

Looking forward to hearing from you -- and :thx

White95Max
01-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Was the car waxed/sealed before this happened?

Either way, I`d try something like Klasse AIO or a mild abrasive polish ASAP.

Nice car! I love silver Miatas, so I hope I can help you out.

:welcome to Autopia! :wavey

imported_Neothin
01-19-2006, 10:57 PM
you could also try to clay the line off. do you think it was something like rubber from the wheels or what?

getright
01-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Be careful not to smudge the line and make your job all that much harder. I agree with Klasse All In One used with a plush micro-fiber towel to absorb the marker or whatever it is. Unbelievable what some A$$ holes will do for fun.

White95Max
01-19-2006, 11:34 PM
I just successfully removed black permanent marker from my countertop for you. :)

Klasse AIO worked beautifully.

getright
01-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Good man. I was wondering about that as i have no actual experience removing marker from cars paint.

zenbear
01-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks, Paul. And thanks again for removing the ink from your countertop. And thanks to the message about not spreading the line. As I`ve said, I don`t know what the line is -- marker, paint, whatever. The Klasse idea sounds good. I`ll try it tomorrow and let you know how I do. This is my second Miata; my first was a 1999 M2 and this is the same body type but with many upgrades -- limited slip, 17" wheels, leather, 6-speed, stiffening, etc. I put a Sirius radio in it for long drives on the coast and t`s really fun to drive. In another 2 or 3 years I`ll trade up for the M3 (current model) which is spectacular and takes the vehicle to a new level. It`s bigger inside, has a better locking system for the top, 18" wheels, bigger engine, etc. And it`s very, very pretty. I`ve learned that you can save some serious bucks not buying them new (my last one was new) and generally, the folks who have them are cultish in how they care for them, so there are always near perfect previously owned cars to pick from. Well, anyway -- no more ranting for now. Experimentation will begin tomorrow and I`ll surely post the results. Thanks again!!