PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the products I have?

The Gange
01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I want to do the best possible job with what I have at home, I don`t really have time to go get a PC and more products to do a fantastic job.

I just got a 2000 Maxima (Silver with black leather) and it hadn`t been taken care of the past couple months. Thank god there are no swirl marks, but it needs a day of TLC. Anyway, these are the products that I do have

TurtleWax Zip Wax car wash

Meguiars Gold Class car wash

Meguiars Deep Crystal System Polish

Meguiars Cleaner Wax

Nu Finish (Don`t laugh, my brother used it on his 91 Accord)

Meguiars Quik Detailer and Clay Bar

Meguiars Trim Detailer

Meguiars PlasticX

Meguiars Scratch X

Rain X

Armor All for the vinyl/rubber/plastic

I use a California Water Blade to get most of the water off, then I use a chamois.

So the big question is, what order do I use these products in? How many layers of wax/polish, how long of a wait in between applications, and what is the best way to buff the car (with what too?)

Thanks so much in advance.

Sahil

BigAl3
01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I use a California Water Blade to get most of the water off, then I use a chamois.

instead of using those... get a few high quality waffle weave towel(s). patrick at exceldetail and ranney over at pakshak have some very nice ones.

www.exceldetail.com www.pakshak.com

allen :)

machboy
01-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I want to do the best possible job with what I have at home, I don`t really have time to go get a PC and more products to do a fantastic job.

I just got a 2000 Maxima (Silver with black leather) and it hadn`t been taken care of the past couple months. Thank god there are no swirl marks, but it needs a day of TLC. Anyway, these are the products that I do have

TurtleWax Zip Wax car wash

Meguiars Gold Class car wash

Meguiars Deep Crystal System Polish

Meguiars Cleaner Wax

Nu Finish (Don`t laugh, my brother used it on his 91 Accord)

Meguiars Quik Detailer and Clay Bar

Meguiars Trim Detailer

Meguiars PlasticX

Meguiars Scratch X

Rain X

Armor All for the vinyl/rubber/plastic

So the big question is, what order do I use these products in? How many layers of wax/polish, how long of a wait in between applications, and what is the best way to buff the car (with what too?)

Thanks so much in advance.

Sahil

1. Gold Class Car Wash

2. Clay

3. Scratch X if needed

4. Cleaner Wax

5. Quick Detailing Spray

Done.

The polish i`m not sure about. The cleaner wax will clean up the paint fine so not sure if the polish is needed. I`ve never used that product so someone else can chime in about it.

Scimmia
01-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Megs DC Polish is what they call a "Pure Polish". It`s more commonly refered to as a glaze around here. I`d say it would be pretty usless before a cleaner wax, as it would most likely remove it, but I suppose it could leave some on the finish.

The Gange
01-19-2006, 03:48 PM
So the Megs DC Polish after the cleaner wax? Also, is it a good idea to use these waxes on the wheels?

Sherman8r44
01-19-2006, 07:29 PM
So the Megs DC Polish after the cleaner wax? Also, is it a good idea to use these waxes on the wheels?

Nah, don`t even bother with the Meg`s DC Polish, because without any protection over it it will dissapate within a week. And the particular wax you have, which is carnauba-based, wouldn`t last on the wheels because it`s melting point is low. Plus, carnauabas tend to attract dust (not repel it), so you would find yourself with an even coating of brake dust on the entire wheel instead of just in the spokes.