PDA

View Full Version : Griot`s Speed Shine vs. forum favorite QD`s

Pages : [1] 2 3

TGates
01-18-2006, 08:50 PM
I noticed while glancing through an old Griot`s handbook and laughing at their ridiculously high prices that a 35 ounce (not sure why it`s not just 32 oz.) bottle of their Speed Shine was only 10 bucks plus almost three dollars for a spray nozzle :nervous: That`s not a bad price for 35 ounces. I have not checked shipping rates so they may make up for it there. I started to get curious about this product and wondered how it compared to some of my favorites such as Adam`s Detail Spray, Clearkote Quikshine, FK #425, Meg`s #34 Final Inspection and Sonus Acrylic/Carnauba Spritz. I assume the Speed Shine has carnauba in it since their carnauba and Best of Show waxes are, well, waxes and not sealants.

I know a few members have tried Griot`s products, and several really like the Speed Shine. I would like to hear from those who have experience with it and especially any who have used it against some of the others I listed.

I`m specifically interested in streaking issues, cleaning ability, gloss, fragrance, and compatability with other products (sealants).

Thanks in advance.

Mikeyc
01-18-2006, 09:03 PM
I recently noticed that their bottles are 35 oz as well and thought it was weird. Also, it steams me that their prices are inflated in the first place and then they charge you for a spray nozzle!!!

Anyway, I`ve used Speed Shine. I really liked it. I got some free with a Griot`s order. I believe it has carnauba in it. It provided nice lubricity and good cleaning power. It left the surface nice and wet looking and smooth.

ZaneO
01-18-2006, 09:19 PM
There`s a local place that`s going to start carrying Griot`s...maybe you could order from them to cut down on shipping, etc.

TGates
01-19-2006, 06:51 AM
There`s a local place that`s going to start carrying Griot`s...maybe you could order from them to cut down on shipping, etc.

Really? That sounds good. If you don`t mind, could you PM me about this? Thanks.

stilez
01-19-2006, 07:06 AM
I`m an FK1 #425 guy.

I have a sample of Speed Shine on the way so I can accurately test them side by side.

TGates
01-19-2006, 07:29 AM
I`m an FK1 #425 guy.

I have a sample of Speed Shine on the way so I can accurately test them side by side.

I`ll be interested to read your impressions, Sean. 425 casts a pretty large shadow.

kompressornsc
01-19-2006, 07:35 AM
It`s ok...I happen to use Zaino, so I don`t use it on my truck. I do use it on the refrigerator, counter tops, etc. and it looks nice. :) I have 4 bottles of it. Two from going to their warehouse open house and two from orders (and the orders were for non-detailing supplies).

TGates
01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
It`s ok...I happen to use Zaino, so I don`t use it on my truck. I do use it on the refrigerator, counter tops, etc. and it looks nice. :) I have 4 bottles of it. Two from going to their warehouse open house and two from orders (and the orders were for non-detailing supplies).

How is the slickness? So far the slickest I`ve used is 4* UGE.

SilverLexus
01-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Speed Shine was only 10 bucks plus almost three dollars for a spray nozzle That`s not a bad price for 35 ounces.

You get what you pay for. :) I prefer Crystal Mist by a mile.

kompressornsc
01-19-2006, 10:09 AM
How is the slickness? So far the slickest I`ve used is 4* UGE.

I dunno. The only other QD I`ve used for the last three years is Z6. It`s not as slick as Z6 over Zaino (the cat trying to jump onto the recently Zaino`d and QD`d Washer and Dryer can attest to that).

TGates
01-19-2006, 10:39 AM
You get what you pay for. :) I prefer Crystal Mist by a mile.

I love Crystal Mist as well, but for $20 bucks for 16 oz. it`s hardly something I use every day. Certainly not something I would be using as clay lube :grinno:

Accumulator
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
SpeedShine doesn`t leave things as slick as UGE but then I`ve only used UGE over UPP and I only use SpeedShine over carnaubas. I sometimes think that EF Clear Pearl (probably the QD closest to SpeedShine) leaves things a little slicker, but the SpeedShine seems to leave more protection behind than the EFCP (based on beading, especially after a rain).

It`s quite different from Meg`s #34, which hardly leaves anything behind (which is one reason why I use it so much when I`m polishing).

I don`t find SpeedShine in the same class as CM and I doubt that it`s anywhere near as impressive as FK 425. It`s not *better* than Quik Shine but it`s different (SpeedShine is a "heavier" product). But it`s certainly not bad stuff and I can see somebody using it just because they like how it smells.

Bill D
01-19-2006, 10:47 AM
I don`t see myself buying any more CM, and therefore not Speed Shine, now that I have #425. I can`t justify CM given all that #425 offers. I might reserve what I have left for a "formal" full waxing session but for general QDing, it`s #425 all the way :up

Accumulator
01-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Bill D- Does that mean you`ve successfully tried spit-shining with the FK 425?

Bill D
01-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Haven`t done that yet but might do a side-by-side with CM. Distilled water is a permanent option for sure.