PDA

View Full Version : Discussion on the Volvo S80 T6 (input needed)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

stilez
01-17-2006, 08:10 AM
UPDATE ON PAGE 4

This is totally a spur of the moment thing, but my girlfriend and I were in the food store the other day in Norwalk, CT and spotted a cleanly put together flyer for a 2001 Volvo S80 T6. Asbolutely loaded with 49k miles, new tires and brakes, and original owner. The owner was asking under trade-in.

Now, this might sound funny to some, but in Fairfield County, CT, pretty much everyone has a lot of money and an image to follow that. Having used cars is just not aloud (*this is my understanding*) :hide:. Its actually a great area to buy used as they are just a couple years old, usually low miles, and the owners want out and into something new. Anyways, spoke to the owner, and shes an artist and needs more room for her paintings and other work (ie: SUV).

Anyways, enough rambling. We are going to look at the car tonight. We have talked about selling Liz`s cars (Saab and Pathfinder) around summer time, but it might come sooner than we think. I have been doing research this morning and would like to hear some opinions on the car, good or bad. If you have useful links or any kind of other info, I`d greatly appreciate it :).

http://photos.highlineauctions.com/h/409-20060114165257/640/001.jpg

not the exact car, but the exact color/option combo

benpocock
01-17-2006, 09:11 AM
They`re built well, go well and are really comfy. They don`t break and are cheap-ish to run. Basically they`re "as good" as the equivalent BMW, Mercedes and Audi, but Volvo will never be allowed into that market. Also, as they`re owned by Ford, they`re reliable as you like.

We had a V70 T5 and it was fantastic - the only downside being that as it was FWD it under steered like no tomorrow and subsequently went through front tyres like they were going out of fashion (as they also had 250bhp to cope with). Is the S80 FWD or RWD?

Ben

stilez
01-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Ben: It`s FWD.

Liz`s parents have a V70 T5 as well and her father has an older 940 wagon. They absolutely love them both, hence the choice to even look at this one.

Thanks for your input.

Mr. Glass
01-17-2006, 09:45 AM
268 HP and 286 TQ from a 2.8L Inline 6 cyl w/ a turbo. They are FWD though, which that much power you will have torque steer out the bum.

boxer
01-17-2006, 11:15 AM
My Dad had an S70 T5, the car had way too many electrical issues. I have since talked to a few other S70 owners and they all had these electrical problems. Doesn`t directly relate to the S80, but if it is anything like the S70 steer clear.

The T5 was nice, and made for a bit of a sleeper, very few people expect a Volvo to have as much bite as it did.

stilez
01-17-2006, 11:34 AM
boxer: Thanks.

I have been reading about a lot of issues past 50k miles. It says to spend a few more and get a 525i. I`ll report back once we`ve looked.

boxer
01-17-2006, 11:40 AM
boxer: Thanks.

I have been reading about a lot of issues past 50k miles. It says to spend a few more and get a 525i. I`ll report back once we`ve looked.

Within 2 years, my dad had put about 130k on the car, but there were problems seemingly right from the start. Withing the first 15k, both front shocks needed to be replaced (they were replaced 3 times during the period we had the car) and 90% of the driving was on the highway.

Of course, this is a different car, and it would be unfair to blanket all Volvos based on one model. The car was at the dealer at least once a month for some issue or another.

96snake
01-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Eh, its wrong wheel drive. What about the s60r? AWD, turbo 5 cylinder.

Lorne

imported_hadboosttroy
01-23-2006, 10:50 AM
my friend has basically that same car and mileage and he just had to replace the whole cooling system :(

stilez
01-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Yikes.

I hate to hear these stories. Car is original owner and 49k miles. All service done at Volvo and the thing is a cream puff in person. A couple very minor dings and swirls are the max of the problems. No rattles whatsoever on the test drive. Car pulls strong and straight.

The price has been lowered yet again. Does anyone have a positive story about this car :)?

Corey Bit Spank
01-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Does she really want to drive a Volvo S80? Eep.

stilez
01-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Does she really want to drive a Volvo S80? Eep.

What do you mean by that?

HomicidalSloth
01-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Cool car, would be nicer in RWD form, but whatever. :)

Corey Bit Spank
01-23-2006, 04:54 PM
What do you mean by that?

They`re kind of bland. :think:

stilez
01-23-2006, 05:12 PM
They`re kind of bland. :think:

I`m sorry, what kind of car do you drive again?